RE: Win2k SSID

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UGllcnJlICBBcmNoYW1iYXVsdA==?=, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. CB,

    Here are the two reg keys that i change before having a reboot

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006\ssid=ssidwanted

    If only XP was that simple too...

    Pete

    =?Utf-8?B?UGllcnJlICBBcmNoYW1iYXVsdA==?=, Aug 1, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGllcnJlICBBcmNoYW1iYXVsdA==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    On win2k, you must use 3rd party software to set SSID.
    Actually this may be even *1st party* software - from the vendor of your netcard/driver.
    WZCSVC in SP4 does not function as wireless configuration service in XP.
    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 1, 2004

  3. Hmmm.

    Forgot to mention that the Wireless NIC we use is a 3Com X-Jack. After installing their drivers, we noticed that the utility they provide work so badly (and forget about support from 3Com, buying Cisco next time.) so we decided to use WZCSVC with W2K Sp4 instead.

    Still, it's much simpler to shange the SSID under W2K SP4 thanin XP SP1. Until XP SP2 I guess.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGllcnJlICBBcmNoYW1iYXVsdA==?=, Aug 2, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGllcnJlICBBcmNoYW1iYXVsdA==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    Unless your email ends with microsoft.com, you can forget about
    running WZCSVC on win2k. Sorry for being rude...
    The SSID parameter in the registry is proprietary to the card/driver, it is
    not related and not needed for WZCSVC functioning.

    Pavel A., Aug 2, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UGllcnJlICBBcmNoYW1iYXVsdA==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Pavel A." <> wrote in message news:...
    > Unless your email ends with microsoft.com, you can forget about

    Oops. I meant, your *real* email address...
    --PA

    Pavel A., Aug 3, 2004