Re: Win2k SP4 and USB 2.0

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:16:02 GMT, Gray Ghost
    <> wrote:

    >Hope that helps.

    Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.

    But what's with the support for USB 2.0 in Win2k SP4? Would I also
    need that, or would just getting the kit be sufficient?

    Please excuse my ignorance.
    John, Jun 28, 2003

  2. Howdy!

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:16:02 GMT, Gray Ghost
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hope that helps.

    > Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.
    >
    > But what's with the support for USB 2.0 in Win2k SP4? Would I also
    > need that, or would just getting the kit be sufficient?

    Well, it's like this. To watch TV in color, not ONLY do you need
    the color TV (the "kit"), but the BROADCAST must be in color (the "service
    pack" or drivers).

    So if you watch an old "Gunsmoke" that's B&W on your color TV, it'll
    be in B&W. But if you watch a new screening of "Friends" on a B&W TV, it'll
    be in - B&W.

    OTGH - I wasn't aware USB 2.0 wasn't in Win2K ... I'm running USB
    2.0 cards in about six Win2K machines as we type ... at USB 2.0 speeds, none
    the less.

    But I bet I wouldn't have had to find the drivers on the CD if it
    were in the SP.

    (SP3 added support for USB 2.0 - wonder what extra support they're
    meaning now?)

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 28, 2003

  3. John

    Gray Ghost Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:16:02 GMT, Gray Ghost
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >Hope that helps.

    >> Thanks. That's what I wanted to know.
    >> But what's with the support for USB 2.0 in Win2k SP4? Would I also
    >> need that, or would just getting the kit be sufficient?

    > Well, it's like this. To watch TV in color, not ONLY do you
    > need
    > the color TV (the "kit"), but the BROADCAST must be in color (the
    > "service pack" or drivers).
    > So if you watch an old "Gunsmoke" that's B&W on your color TV,
    > it'll
    > be in B&W. But if you watch a new screening of "Friends" on a B&W TV,
    > it'll be in - B&W.

    Good analogy, I'll have to slip that in my utility belt next to my
    plonker.

    > OTGH - I wasn't aware USB 2.0 wasn't in Win2K ... I'm running
    > USB
    > 2.0 cards in about six Win2K machines as we type ... at USB 2.0
    > speeds, none the less.
    > But I bet I wouldn't have had to find the drivers on the CD if
    > it
    > were in the SP.
    > (SP3 added support for USB 2.0 - wonder what extra support
    > they're
    > meaning now?)

    Got me... I just installed the driver from the CD that came with my USB
    card when I installed it a couple of months ago. I bet it's some "buffer
    overflow" protection ;-)

    Gotta love good ole MS.

    -gg-
    Gray Ghost, Jun 29, 2003