Re: win2k pro problems with slowness.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gray Ghost, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Gray Ghost

    Gray Ghost Guest

    "-'-JesterDev-'-" <> wrote in news:kmmLa.45210
    $:

    > When I run any program it takes forever to load.
    > For example notepad takes 15+ seconds to load.
    > I defraged my hd and that didnt help.. Any ideas?
    >
    > Win2k pro (sp4) It thought sp4 would fix it but it didnt.
    > 1gig ddr
    > p3 2.53
    > 120gig hd

    Jester - Have you checked to see what processes are running and what not?
    How long has this been a problem? If it has only been a couple of days,
    it could be that you have a Trojan installed in your system without
    knowing it... I know that W32.SoBigE.32@mm is pretty big (I think that's
    the name of it) and it will definitely slow down your machine to a crawl
    as it attempts to send out itself to others.

    Just a thought to check into... Oh and if you don't know how to check
    processes, in Win2k you simply press Control-Alt-Delete and then Task
    Manager, or you can right click the Task Bar and select it from the
    Context Menu.

    Hope that this helps you trouble shoot the problem a little bit.

    If this has been a problem for a while you might want to try looking
    through the processes running and if any of them are taking huge gobs
    (like 15+ meg of memory) or running at high processor utilization rates,
    you might want to start doing some google searching on what the problem
    is, or you can simply post back here and someone will get to you. As far
    as other solutions... backing up all your data and doing a fresh install
    (just a thought) ***WARNING THIS IS A LAST RESORT AND YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE
    FOR YOUR OWN SYSTEM BY DOING THIS***

    HTH
    gg
    Gray Ghost, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Gray Ghost

    PhilGreg Guest

    > $:
    >
    > > When I run any program it takes forever to load.
    > > For example notepad takes 15+ seconds to load.
    > > I defraged my hd and that didnt help.. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Win2k pro (sp4) It thought sp4 would fix it but it didnt.
    > > 1gig ddr
    > > p3 2.53
    > > 120gig hd

    > Jester - Have you checked to see what processes are running and what

    not?
    > How long has this been a problem? If it has only been a couple of

    days,
    > it could be that you have a Trojan installed in your system without
    > knowing it... I know that W32.SoBigE.32@mm is pretty big (I think

    that's
    > the name of it) and it will definitely slow down your machine to a

    crawl
    > as it attempts to send out itself to others.
    >
    > Just a thought to check into... Oh and if you don't know how to

    check
    > processes, in Win2k you simply press Control-Alt-Delete and then

    Task
    > Manager, or you can right click the Task Bar and select it from the
    > Context Menu.

    ==> Backatcha<BG> go to www.Mlin.net and DL StartUp Control Panel and
    StartUp Monitor. Much, much better than Task Manager.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )