Re: Win2k: Missing "Local Area Connection" Icon

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Darthux, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Darthux

    Darthux Guest

    right click on my network places, and go to properties, this will bring up
    your network and dialup connections, right click on your local area
    connection, the one that pertains to your ethernet card, and click on
    properties, check the box at the bottom that says show icon in notification
    area when connected

    -Darthux
    "ilmc" <i.collings@dont_spam_here_ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > <Posted to alt.os windows2000 also>
    >
    > Yep, I've googled gouts and hunted mskb, but no luck.
    > I've just updated my work machine from win98se to win2000 - and it worked
    > like the words on the packet said - almost.
    > Although all my network shares, IP addresses etc came across the upgrade,

    > didn't get a "local area connections" icon under "my network" Everything
    > worked - the upgrade even imported my old static IP address.
    > But there was no "local area network" icon, and all my local share/maps
    > slowly grew red x's on them. But they still worked.
    > Google suggested that the best thing to do was to uninstall/re-install the
    > network adapter. This was not good. Now network adapter can't find a DHCP
    > (there isn't one to find),and assigns an IP address that my router

    rejects.
    > The best clue that I have is the event logger recording that (and I'm

    doing
    > this from memory):
    > RCP failed to reset lan 1
    > (which is a realtek 8139)
    > error code 23(hex)
    > I do have the latest realtek drivers I can find ( autumn 2002)
    > Yes, I have done the "add new places" wiz, but I never get anew connectoid
    >
    > > No, I'm not completely sober. Fighting M$ turn me at least to drunk -

    in

    Darthux, Jul 15, 2003