Re: Win2K emergency repair disk

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Aug 21, 2012.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Somehow, a long time ago (2006 earliest) i made an emergency repair
    > disk - maybe when installing Win2K.
    > Well, i would like to make a new one as my computer MB and HD
    > configurations have changed.
    > Does anyone have a clue how to do that?
    > Start / settings / control panel / system / advanced / startup and
    > recovery is useless for that.

    This is from the Help on my Win2K install...
    Topic searched for was: Emergency

    *******
    To create an Emergency Repair Disk

    Open Backup.
    On the Tools menu, click Create an Emergency Repair Disk.
    Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.

    Important

    You will need a blank 1.44 MB floppy disk to create an Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
    The repair process relies on information that is saved in the systemroot\repair folder.
    You must not change or delete this folder.

    Notes

    To start Backup, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools,
    and then click Backup. Choosing Also back up the registry to the repair directory will
    save your current registry files in a folder within your systemroot/repair folder.
    This is useful if you need to recover your system in the event your hard disk has failed.
    Additional information on the repair process is available. If you are using
    Windows 2000 Professional, see the Windows 2000 Professional Getting Started online
    book or the Windows 2000 Professional Getting Started book that came with your
    Windows 2000 CD. If you are using Windows 2000 Server, see the Disaster Recovery
    How to section.
    *******

    Now, don't ask me what you're supposed to do with the diskette.
    I made one of those, probably a couple of days after first getting
    Win2K, and I think the floppy diskette is still sitting in the
    box the software came in :)

    Just backing up C:, makes more sense to me. I can fix an
    emergency, with a backup. A backup would have copies of the
    registry files, so I'd have those if I needed them.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 21, 2012