Re: Win 98 won't install on a Elitegroup KT600A

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PC wrote:
    > Greetings all
    >
    > All new Box (320W power supply)
    > Elitegroup KT600A MB
    > Athlon 2500+ barton
    > 256 DDR ram
    > 40GB Maxtor 7200 rpm
    > GeForce 4 MX440
    >
    > Hardware all ok as Windows 2000 installs as sweet as.
    >
    > The owner is insisting on using Windows 98 as they are in the middle
    > of their 'season' and do not want 'any' workflow interuptions with a
    > 'new' OS (ie learning Win XP)
    >
    > My problem is I've tried installing all flavours of Windows from 98
    > to ME on this machine, and each time it reboot's after the initial
    > install it just 'locks up' at the very first splash screen.
    > Bootlog.txt show's it loading IFSHLP.SYS as the last entry.
    >
    > I've tried failsafe settings in Bios, turning of all the onboard
    > extra's (Lan, Audio etc), format the drive between each flavour of
    > windows, running the cpu at 1.1 GHz, reducing ram to 128 MB etc.
    >
    > Rebooting requires complete power off, all options (safe mode,
    > bootlog, normal etc) except command prompt repeat the lock up. It
    > will boot to Command mode (C:>)
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul

    Cross-posted to nz.comp where it should be. You're more likely to get an
    answer there.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    PC Guest

    snip
    > Cross-posted to nz.comp where it should be. You're more likely to get an
    > answer there.

    snip

    Thanks
    Paul

    PC, Dec 4, 2003

  3. In article <cVBzb.18697$>,
    ~misfit~@his_desk.com says...
    > PC wrote:
    > > Greetings all
    > >
    > > All new Box (320W power supply)

    > > I've tried failsafe settings in Bios, turning of all the onboard
    > > extra's (Lan, Audio etc), format the drive between each flavour of
    > > windows, running the cpu at 1.1 GHz, reducing ram to 128 MB etc.
    > >
    > > Rebooting requires complete power off, all options (safe mode,
    > > bootlog, normal etc) except command prompt repeat the lock up. It
    > > will boot to Command mode (C:>)
    > >
    > > Help!
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Paul

    ifshlp.sys is windows file system, i.i.r.c.

    I'd start looking at disk controller setup, cables, compatibility issues
    between the drives -quite a few of the (modern) raid controllers will
    stuff up completely if faced with a pio drive, cd drives, a syquest
    drive f'r instance

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 4, 2003