Re: Win 8 pricing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Nov 3, 2012.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-11-03, Mutley <> wrote:
    > Crash McBash <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just for a laugh I went to the MS site looking at upgrade pricing. I
    >>was surprised to see an upgrade available to from XP as well as Vista
    >>and 7 (IIRC the only upgrade to Win 7 was from Vista) and even more
    >>stunned to see the price - $49 to download and $80-odd retail (IIRC
    >>past upgrades have been north of $150).
    >>
    >>What on earth is MS up to?

    > Following the Apple pricing model and trying to make it cheap to beat
    > the pirates..

    Oh you mean the OS. Had me going there for awhile.

    Look, MS is against a barage of competitors. The desktop is going into
    history if you believe some people.

    MS wants action, read the money which is being made by apping stores. The
    tool to do this must be cheap, so that one and all get onto the MS, vs the
    Apple bus, or the other ones.

    Bit like cell phones. Take one they are free, use our network and profit to
    us. You have to stay with us for 24 months see.

    On 1 February 2013 the price will rise. The current prices are specials to help
    people get addicted to the Ms App store.

    Also the hard copy edition gives you both 32 and 64 bit versions.

    For desktop use do install the Classic shell. Puts the apps on the menu not
    in your face.

    No you were not trolling I hope. ;-)

    Gordon, Nov 3, 2012