Re: Win 7: Was Netbook Repair

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Oct 25, 2009.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:

    <<< Sniped for clarity >>>

    > Yeah, what's up with them putting XP mode only in the Pro versions? That
    > bites. It seems to me that Home users need the feature more than Pro users
    > since Pro users (both office systems and techies) are more likely to upgrade
    > their peripherals and such while Home users tend to hold onto their equip
    > for as long as it will work.

    The XP compatability mode as far as I'm led to believe is mainly for
    buisness's that use custom aplications, its to gaurentee that these apps
    work.

    > Any idea if older versions of Outlook will be supported?

    Dont really use outlook, Thunderbird user here. can you even get a
    standalone installer for Outlook?

    > Can you or anyone tell me the minimum system requirements for Win7? I need
    > to figure out which machines I can even upgrade.

    Minimum Requirements are:
    1GHz CPU
    1GB ram 32bit / 2GB for 64bit
    16GB HDD Space / 20GB for 64bit
    DX9 with WDDM 1.0 (windows display driver model) GFX or better

    here is a link to the Upgrade advisor tool from MS:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

    JD

    JD, Oct 25, 2009

  2. JD

    JD Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:
    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    >> James D. Andrews wrote:
    >>
    >> <<< Sniped for clarity >>>
    >>

    >>> Any idea if older versions of Outlook will be supported?
    >>>

    >> Dont really use outlook, Thunderbird user here. can you even get a
    >> standalone installer for Outlook?

    > Don't think so. I guess I meant older versions of Office/Outlook. Does
    > Thunderbird import from Outlook/Outlook Express?

    Thunderbird will import from outlook no problem at all, its quite good
    you should give it a try, I have my RSS Feeds (news mostly) Email
    Accounts and News servers all set up in it, all my comunications in the
    one place :) the junk mail filtering is not bad, and the message rules
    are very handy (outlook has a similar thing)

    >>> Can you or anyone tell me the minimum system requirements for Win7? I
    >>> need to figure out which machines I can even upgrade.
    >>>

    >> Minimum Requirements are:
    >> 1GHz CPU
    >> 1GB ram 32bit / 2GB for 64bit
    >> 16GB HDD Space / 20GB for 64bit
    >> DX9 with WDDM 1.0 (windows display driver model) GFX or better
    >>
    >> here is a link to the Upgrade advisor tool from MS:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15
    >>
    >> JD

    > Thanks.
    > Went and got the tool. From the requirements stats, looks like my older
    > machines can't handle it. Oh well, won't need to buy as many copies then :}

    What are you using P4/AMD socket A's or is it older still ?

    JD

    JD, Oct 27, 2009