Re: win 7 partitions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Morrison, Oct 18, 2010.

  1. On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:12:06 -0500, "Dr.Dan" <nospam.com> wrote:

    >I have a win 7 64 bit os which came with the drive partitioned. Half as the
    >c and the other half as the d drive. For me thats fine, I will keep an eye
    >on things and manage where data goes and that kind of thing.

    I also have win 7 64 bit which came with only C: drive, which I
    formatted into C: D: E:

    I always install the OS to C: then programs to D: and music to E:

    >But my daughter just bought a win 7 64 bit laptop and it came partitioned
    > c, d and e. The d partition is for recovery data.
    >Thing is she would never manage the drives.
    >If the c drive filled up she would not know to go to the next partition.

    On the info you supply I would suggest formatting the laptop into a
    single C: drive.

    >So my questions are why do the manufacturers do this, is there a practical
    >reason?

    Not that I'm aware of unless they are trying to be helpful. :)

    > Should I resize the c partition on her machine to eliminate the e
    >drive? Thanks for your help.

    It seems to me dad you could often be helping your daughter with her
    laptop and would be able to backup the laptop to an external drive on
    your computer, That would probably be a more reliable backup than
    relying on the laptop D: recovery data partition.
    --

    John
    John Morrison, Oct 18, 2010

  2. John Morrison

    thanatoid Guest

    John Morrison <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:12:06 -0500, "Dr.Dan" <nospam.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a win 7 64 bit os which came with the drive
    >>partitioned. Half as the c and the other half as the d
    >>drive. For me thats fine, I will keep an eye on things and
    >>manage where data goes and that kind of thing.

    > I also have win 7 64 bit which came with only C: drive,
    > which I formatted into C: D: E:
    >
    > I always install the OS to C: then programs to D: and music
    > to E:

    <snip>

    "Programs" to D, huh? The /usual/ programs you think you need,
    like Office? Or old-style well-written utilities which do not
    install anything anywhere else besides their own directory
    (sorry, folder) and do not write anything to the registry?

    Didn't think so.

    I'd /love/ to see how your system works after you have to
    reformat and reinstall Windows.

    Yes, it WILL happen.

    --
    "Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
    - 21st Century Humanoid
    thanatoid, Oct 18, 2010

  3. On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:28:57 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
    <> wrote:

    >John Morrison <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:12:06 -0500, "Dr.Dan" <nospam.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a win 7 64 bit os which came with the drive
    >>>partitioned. Half as the c and the other half as the d
    >>>drive. For me thats fine, I will keep an eye on things and
    >>>manage where data goes and that kind of thing.

    >> I also have win 7 64 bit which came with only C: drive,
    >> which I formatted into C: D: E:
    >>
    >> I always install the OS to C: then programs to D: and music
    >> to E:

    ><snip>
    >
    >"Programs" to D, huh? The /usual/ programs you think you need,
    >like Office? Or old-style well-written utilities which do not
    >install anything anywhere else besides their own directory
    >(sorry, folder) and do not write anything to the registry?

    I don't have Office but I have MS Word, MS Works, MS Money and Quicken
    installed to D: drive, when I reinstall Win 7 those 4 programs will need
    to be reinstalled but I won't lose any data.

    Also on D: drive I have Eudora for email, Agent 6 for newsgroups, 2 or 3
    versions of the Opera browser all of which don't need to be reinstalled,
    so when I reinstall Win 7, within 10 minutes (or the time it takes to
    create new shortcuts) I will be able to check for email, read newsgroups
    and browse the web.

    I use a USB plug in plus two external hard disks for alternate daily
    backups.

    Security programs and other programs, some free some paid I install to
    C: because they have no settings worth saving.

    >Didn't think so.

    >I'd /love/ to see how your system works after you have to
    >reformat and reinstall Windows.
    >
    >Yes, it WILL happen.

    Do tell. ;-)

    I honestly tried to help another person whereas your post didn't try to
    help anybody.
    --

    John
    John Morrison, Oct 19, 2010
  4. John Morrison

    thanatoid Guest

    John Morrison <> wrote in

    <snip>

    > I honestly tried to help another person whereas your post
    > didn't try to help anybody.

    I wasn't trying to be helpful, I was just being an asshole.

    thanatoid, Oct 19, 2010