Re: Win 7 drivers for HP printers

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dominic Payer, May 5, 2011.

  1. The 3550n is not supported in Windows 7. See
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02535920.

    If you want to keep it running - a newer printer would be better -
    install an earlier version of Windows in a virtual machine which
    supports parallel ports.

    XP Mode will not work (unless you can get a USB to parallel port adapter
    working - many will not) because Windows Virtual PC does not support
    parallel ports.

    Dominic Payer, May 5, 2011

  2. Dominic Payer

    VanguardLH Guest

    Dominic Payer wrote:

    > Bill Stanton wrote:
    >
    >> In migrating to Win 7 Pro Sp1, I'm needing to install a HP LaserJet
    >> 3550n.

    > XP Mode will not work (unless you can get a USB to parallel port
    > adapter working - many will not) because Windows Virtual PC does not
    > support parallel ports.

    The "n" model for 3550 includes JetDirect print server (i.e., a network
    printer). Presumably the extra money was paid for the N model so the
    printer could be network accessible. Since the virtual machine supports
    networking, this networked printer should be accessible.

    HP Color LaserJet 3550 Getting Started Guide:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00224991/c00224991.pdf

    HP Color LaserJet 3550 Overview (specifications included):
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...=18972&prodSeriesId=411171&objectID=c01371765

    The 3550 (and N model by extension) have USB support. In fact, this
    printer does NOT have a parallel port according to its manual. USB and
    network are its connection interfaces, no parallel.

    USB isn't supported in Microsoft's VirtualPC 2007. I don't know if the
    XP Mode variant of it supports USB. From a couple forum posts, XP Mode
    appears to have USB support except that devices have to be manually
    attached. You could use a different VMM, like VMWare Server (free) or
    VirtualBox for automatic attachment of USB devices.

    VanguardLH, May 5, 2011

  3. FWIW, if USB becomes an issue, add USB over Ethernet (www.kernelpro.com) and
    do it that way. Frankly, I've found it far more reliable than the USB
    support available in Windows 7 Virtual PC.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/Russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 6, 2011