Re: Will New Flat Panel Monitor Work on Old PII/Win 98 PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Walter Mautner, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Coat Chick wrote:

    > Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will a new flat panel monitor
    > [Dell E173FP: TFT/Active Matrix, Analog RGB, 1280 x 1024 (XGA)]
    > work on a 1999 Gateway Pentium II PC running Windows 98 [First
    > Edition]. If not, is her anything I can do [change graphics card, etc.]
    > to make it work? TIA.

    Try (still on the crt) out to set resolution to 1280x1024 and frequency to
    60-72 Hz. Look at the color depth - if it doesn't work for 32bit, change to
    16. If you need to run lower resolution (1024x768 or even less), the TFT
    has to "stretch" the pixels by odd factors, which will sometimes give
    pityful fonts and reduced sharpness.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.10-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Feb 21, 2005