Re: Will MS blow up the planet...looks close !

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Who is this of Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:57 :

    > Flaw In Windows Lets Slammer Worm Disable Nuke Plant Safety System
    >
    > Amazing. Simply amazing. So amazing it's scary. So scary it'd have to
    > be Microsoft. And indeed, it is.

    You think you've got problems? Part of my job is buying control systems for
    power stations, and nowadays I'm told the only choice is MS based systems.

    <snip>

    > ************* My 2c Worth ************
    > Well, look out for a terrorist attack comming to a MS powered plant near
    > you soon. You have to ask yourself why the **** mission critical systems
    > like this are plugged into the net. If they need have net access then
    > they should have a 2nd computer next door to the main one so they can
    > still download their porn and email and have ZERO chance of infecting
    > the one that counts, They can even connect the two together so the main
    > one can SEND ONLY data to the net connected one. I wonder how many
    > plants are vulnerable....thinking probably ALL of them....what a pack of
    > stupid .....

    Quite right. I'm having a discussion at the moment with our IT people who
    insist that such a connection is ok because of the firewall they have
    installed. I'm not an IT person, and I have a lot less faith in the
    firewall than they do. The control system LAN doesn't _need_ to be
    connected, and I'd be a lot happier if it weren't.

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Peter

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>,
    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:12:58 +1200, Peter wrote:
    >
    > > You think you've got problems? Part of my job is buying control systems
    > > for power stations, and nowadays I'm told the only choice is MS based
    > > systems.

    > Why not fund an opensource initiative then?

    HA ha ha, because IT people's first objective is to make themselves
    indispensible, after that to make themselves comfortable, and then come
    the users needs...maybe.
    Who is this, Aug 22, 2003

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 22, 2003
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from Uncle StoatWarbler of Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:52 :

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:12:58 +1200, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> You think you've got problems? Part of my job is buying control systems
    >> for power stations, and nowadays I'm told the only choice is MS based
    >> systems.

    > Why not fund an opensource initiative then?

    Yes, it looks very attractive to get open source in there somehow.

    These larger industrial control systems come as a combination of software
    and hardware, from a single vendor. They used to have their own OS, but
    now they've gone more to generic hardware (PCs) and Windos OS on many of
    the components. Difficult for a customer to reinvent the wheel in OSS, but
    maybe the vendor could move that way. It would reduce their software costs
    and increase development speed. The vendors might fear OSS would mean a
    loss of control, but perhaps they are discovering that using MS OS means a
    greater loss of control.

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 23, 2003