Re: Will an xp home drive image run on xp pro?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 10, 2009.

  1. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Sarah Austin wrote:
    >
    >> Rôgêr <> wrote :

    >>> Is the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard of any use to you?

    >> Gosh, does it actually work?
    >>
    >> If it wont botch my computer(s) it would be great.

    > To be honest I've never used it myself, but it seems to be intended just
    > for the needs you have. As far as I know it does nothing to the original
    > computer other than marking what all you want to transfer. And if it
    > were botching up computers left and right I'd think we'd be hearing
    > about it, a lot.

    You will have to use the Vista wizard to migrate your settings to vista -
    it will run on the xp source. Did that just a few days ago for someone who
    got a new lap with vista preloaded.
    But then, it (or the xp transfer wiz) will not move 3rd party program
    settings unless they are in "documents and settings" and you choose to
    transfer files as well.
    For the occasional single-user fax sending or receiving, windows xp pro
    will be sufficient - since faxes will soon be phased out everywhere, I
    would not look for any new program.
    With winfax, you may have the sent and received faxes stored inside some
    folder, as tifs. Or at least, you can export them.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 10, 2009