Re: Will a camera stop working in the heat?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ray Fischer, Jul 2, 2011.

  1. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >I'm wondering if a digital camera would stop working when the ambient
    >temperature exceeds a certain limit, for instance if you spend an entire
    >day in a hot desert.

    Not likely to be a concern, but when I shot some long-exposure
    nighttime photos in Death Valley, the resulting photos looked
    distinctly noiser than similar shots in colder climes. As I recall
    it was still around 90F at midnight.

    Ray Fischer, Jul 2, 2011

  2. Ray Fischer

    Wally Guest

    On 02 Jul 2011 19:26:46 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >>I'm wondering if a digital camera would stop working when the ambient
    >>temperature exceeds a certain limit, for instance if you spend an entire
    >>day in a hot desert.

    >Not likely to be a concern, but when I shot some long-exposure
    >nighttime photos in Death Valley, the resulting photos looked
    >distinctly noiser than similar shots in colder climes. As I recall
    >it was still around 90F at midnight.

    DSLRs should come with cooled sensors.

    Wally, Jul 2, 2011

  3. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Wally <> wrote:
    >On 02 Jul 2011 19:26:46 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >
    >>Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    >>>I'm wondering if a digital camera would stop working when the ambient
    >>>temperature exceeds a certain limit, for instance if you spend an entire
    >>>day in a hot desert.

    >>Not likely to be a concern, but when I shot some long-exposure
    >>nighttime photos in Death Valley, the resulting photos looked
    >>distinctly noiser than similar shots in colder climes. As I recall
    >>it was still around 90F at midnight.

    >DSLRs should come with cooled sensors.

    Buy a portable electric refrigerator and keep it in your car.

    Ray Fischer, Jul 2, 2011
  4. Wally <> wrote:
    > On 02 Jul 2011 19:26:46 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >>Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    >>>I'm wondering if a digital camera would stop working when the ambient
    >>>temperature exceeds a certain limit, for instance if you spend an entire
    >>>day in a hot desert.

    >>Not likely to be a concern, but when I shot some long-exposure
    >>nighttime photos in Death Valley, the resulting photos looked
    >>distinctly noiser than similar shots in colder climes. As I recall
    >>it was still around 90F at midnight.

    > DSLRs should come with cooled sensors.

    That would produce even more heat, add a hotspot on the rear,
    waste tons of battery power and make the package heavier as well.

    In effect, the other electronics would pack up even quicker,
    be it fron a drained battery or from overheating.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 31, 2011