Re: Wildly OT:My spampot experiment

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Robert Moir, May 25, 2005.

  1. Robert Moir

    Robert Moir Guest

    CBIC wrote:
    > About 6 weeks ago I set up a gmail account and began posting the addy
    > in my sig. I receive 50-60 phishing email per day. I don't receive
    > very much spam. So the conclusion to my experiment is that spammers
    > are not harvesting off of usenet but scammers are actively
    > harvesting. This public service message is brought to you by
    > www.mcngp.com

    I've been doing something similar. I've seen a good healthy mix of spam and
    phishing. Actually I get more spam to my website contact address, which i've
    *never* posted with that i can remember, so presumably has been scraped off
    the site itself.

    Robert Moir, May 25, 2005

  2. It used to be that they would SPAM the information in the domain registries
    (because this technically has to be kept up to date). The SPAM registries
    now present this, not as text, but as a picture...and they require you to
    enter a keycode (another picture) in order to get in. Thus, the spammers
    have been foiled, but still have other means.

    Bob

    Bob Christian, May 25, 2005