Re: Wifi Requirement

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BB, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. BB

    BB Guest

    > Access points often have a bridge mode.
    > Consider a Linksys wrt54g which is quite similar to what you have,
    > available for around $175 from Ascent IIRC, and it has a built in switch.
    > Also has a lot of 3rd party firmware images with extra features enabled.

    Does the WRT54G have bridge mode standard, or only after a Sveasoft firmware
    upgrade?

    Rgds

    DG

    BB, Feb 8, 2005

  2. BB wrote:
    >>Access points often have a bridge mode.
    >>Consider a Linksys wrt54g which is quite similar to what you have,
    >>available for around $175 from Ascent IIRC, and it has a built in switch.
    >>Also has a lot of 3rd party firmware images with extra features enabled.

    > Does the WRT54G have bridge mode standard, or only after a Sveasoft firmware
    > upgrade?

    heh, I was about to say yes... but Im not sure, all the ones I have
    access to have modified firmware.

    Infact there is a iwi company working on their own modified firmware for
    it, making it essencially a managed switch, and proper router(using
    Zebra), looks quite interesting, I'll see if I can find the URL.

    I have a beta firmware, but I believe it is rather limited in release at
    this stage, they wanted to keep the trial fairly small, but it seems
    mostly functional, well, client mode isn't, but no great loss there.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> Access points often have a bridge mode.
    >>> Consider a Linksys wrt54g which is quite similar to what you have,
    >>> available for around $175 from Ascent IIRC, and it has a built in
    >>> switch. Also has a lot of 3rd party firmware images with extra
    >>> features enabled.

    >> Does the WRT54G have bridge mode standard, or only after a Sveasoft
    >> firmware upgrade?

    > heh, I was about to say yes... but Im not sure, all the ones I have
    > access to have modified firmware.
    > Infact there is a iwi company

    *snip*
    by iwi, I meant Kiwi

    There is also a slightly higer model than the wrt54g, that has more
    memory, and more flash, so should be easier to modify if thats your area.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > *snip*
    > by iwi, I meant Kiwi
    > There is also a slightly higer model

    *snip*
    and by higer, I meant "higher"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 8, 2005
  5. BB

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> *snip*
    >> by iwi, I meant Kiwi
    >> There is also a slightly higer model

    > *snip*
    > and by higer, I meant "higher"

    Don't orry ave, we knew hat you ment. :)

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Feb 8, 2005
  6. EMB wrote:
    >> *snip*
    >> and by higer, I meant "higher"

    > Don't orry ave, we knew hat you ment. :)

    hanks MB, ice o now uor nderstood
    t as ne f hose ays

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 8, 2005