Re: Wifi question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. She has a better machine.

    I have several computers and a wireless network in my house. My wife's
    computer is at the very back of the house, and would drop the connection
    frequently. I bought a better network adaptor, and the same network now
    works perfectly. None of the connections ever drop -- the router takes a bye
    sometimes, and I have to reboot it, but the computers are reliable.

    The problem for you is that in my case, the computers are all desktop
    machines, and I can open them up to install stuff like network adaptors, you
    do not have that ability with your laptop.

    You are correct though, if there are two laptops side by side, in theory
    they ought to see the network the same. The problem is the design of the
    built in network adaptor that the computers have, and the antenna they use.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 22, 2009

  2. Jeff Strickland

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <gslpta$2u2$>, Jeff Strickland
    <> scribeth thus
    >She has a better machine.
    >
    >I have several computers and a wireless network in my house. My wife's
    >computer is at the very back of the house, and would drop the connection
    >frequently. I bought a better network adaptor, and the same network now
    >works perfectly. None of the connections ever drop -- the router takes a bye
    >sometimes, and I have to reboot it, but the computers are reliable.
    >
    >The problem for you is that in my case, the computers are all desktop
    >machines, and I can open them up to install stuff like network adaptors, you
    >do not have that ability with your laptop.
    >
    >You are correct though, if there are two laptops side by side, in theory
    >they ought to see the network the same. The problem is the design of the
    >built in network adaptor that the computers have, and the antenna they use.

    What can be more of a pain is interference with other wi-fi points.
    Download netstumbler and that will give you an idea of the number where
    you are. Some streets now have almost one in every house!...

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Apr 22, 2009

  3. "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <gslpta$2u2$>, Jeff Strickland
    > <> scribeth thus
    >>She has a better machine.
    >>
    >>I have several computers and a wireless network in my house. My wife's
    >>computer is at the very back of the house, and would drop the connection
    >>frequently. I bought a better network adaptor, and the same network now
    >>works perfectly. None of the connections ever drop -- the router takes a
    >>bye
    >>sometimes, and I have to reboot it, but the computers are reliable.
    >>
    >>The problem for you is that in my case, the computers are all desktop
    >>machines, and I can open them up to install stuff like network adaptors,
    >>you
    >>do not have that ability with your laptop.
    >>
    >>You are correct though, if there are two laptops side by side, in theory
    >>they ought to see the network the same. The problem is the design of the
    >>built in network adaptor that the computers have, and the antenna they
    >>use.
    >>

    > What can be more of a pain is interference with other wi-fi points.
    > Download netstumbler and that will give you an idea of the number where
    > you are. Some streets now have almost one in every house!...
    >
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    Tony's idea is all well and good, but if I understand correctly, the OP has
    two machines sitting side by side on a table at Starbucks, one gets a good
    signal and the other gets a weak signal. He's asking, why the difference?

    Assuming all external factors are the same in a side by side comparison,
    then the difference has got to be internal to the two machines being
    compared.

    Knowing what is out there is certainly useful information, no question about
    that.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 22, 2009
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

    > "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <gslpta$2u2$>, Jeff Strickland
    >> <> scribeth thus
    >>>She has a better machine.
    >>>
    >>>I have several computers and a wireless network in my house. My
    >>>wife's computer is at the very back of the house, and would drop the
    >>>connection frequently. I bought a better network adaptor, and the
    >>>same network now works perfectly. None of the connections ever drop
    >>>-- the router takes a bye
    >>>sometimes, and I have to reboot it, but the computers are reliable.
    >>>
    >>>The problem for you is that in my case, the computers are all desktop
    >>>machines, and I can open them up to install stuff like network
    >>>adaptors, you
    >>>do not have that ability with your laptop.
    >>>
    >>>You are correct though, if there are two laptops side by side, in
    >>>theory they ought to see the network the same. The problem is the
    >>>design of the built in network adaptor that the computers have, and
    >>>the antenna they use.
    >>>

    >> What can be more of a pain is interference with other wi-fi points.
    >> Download netstumbler and that will give you an idea of the number
    >> where you are. Some streets now have almost one in every house!...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer
    >>

    > Tony's idea is all well and good, but if I understand correctly, the
    > OP has two machines sitting side by side on a table at Starbucks, one
    > gets a good signal and the other gets a weak signal. He's asking, why
    > the difference?
    >
    > Assuming all external factors are the same in a side by side
    > comparison, then the difference has got to be internal to the two
    > machines being compared.

    There are marked differences between the sensitivity of different
    machines even within the same manufacturer. Unsurprisingly
    the "Netbooks" seem to fare better in comparison !

    --
    Best Reagrds:
    Baron.

    Baron, Apr 23, 2009