Re: Wifi access with Windows 95

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ian., Jun 17, 2007.

  1. Ian.

    Ian. Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Toshiba P1 laptop here with Windows 95 and a Belkin PCMCIA
    Wifi NIC. Ive successfully connected to my home network including
    enabling it as and internet sharing client. The internet sharing
    host is a P11 desktop running Win98SE. I have Opera on the laptop
    but no IE.

    I now want to use it to access the Wifi connection at my local
    library but Im hitting a problem. The NIC appears to be linking
    OK to the library access point using the SSID supplied by the staff
    there. Im pretty sure I had a good connection. Trouble is, thats
    as far as I could get. The library staff were no further help,
    they only know about Win2000 and XP.

    My understanding is that I should see some sort of login screen
    when I start up my browser, Opera. I think this is supposed to
    replace the "Home page" of the browser. I dont understand the
    mechanism involved in this and its not happening. Opera just
    times out looking. Ive tried pinging ftp.demon.co.uk, just to
    test the connection but its not recogised. I dont know whether
    this is a Win95 problem, an Opera problem or what.

    Any advise on solving this would be appreciated. Ive be looking
    around on the web for leads but so far have found none.

    --
    Ian.
    Ian., Jun 17, 2007

  2. Hi
    You have to use the Wireless utility that probably comes with the Wireless
    card since Win95/98 does not have native Wireless utility.
    I do not know how your home network is configured, but if you do not have a
    Router (Access Point) you probably use Ad-Hoc connection and you have to
    change the configuration while in the library to infrastructure.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 17, 2007

  3. Ian.

    Guest

    On 17-Jun-2007, ("Ian.") wrote:

    > Any advise on solving this would be appreciated. Ive be looking
    > around on the web for leads but so far have found none.

    Try pinging by IP address. This bypasses DNS which resolves
    names to IP addresses.
    I think MiniStumbler works with Win95 and some Belkin adapters.
    If so it should tell you what wireless networks your laptop can see.
    Probably your problem is that you are configured
    Gateway address
    Local m/c IP address
    DNS server(s)
    Subnet mask
    etc
    and some of these IP address numbers aren't valid
    for your library network.
    I know how to set up XP, but am not familiar with
    how you change things under Win95.
    Main thing to find is the gateway, that gets you
    to the DHCP server which should lease your local m/c an IP
    address (assuming you haven't used a static ip address).
    If those IP addresses work you should be able to ping
    by number, but not necessarily by name.
    So try pinging the gateway address.
    The DNS server may or may not be the same address
    as the gateway.
    Google for MiniStumbler and NetStumbler, I think
    only MiniStumbler works under Win95.
    http://www.stumbler.net/compat/
    NB there are two default IP address ranges, it help if
    m/c's are singing from the sake hymn book, one
    range
    10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255
    or
    192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255
    and the libraries gateway address is something
    they may have chosen for themselves.
    , Jun 17, 2007
  4. Ian.

    Ian. Guest

    "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." wrote:

    J> You have to use the Wireless utility that probably comes with the Wireless
    J> card since Win95/98 does not have native Wireless utility.
    J> I do not know how your home network is configured, but if you do not have a
    J> Router (Access Point) you probably use Ad-Hoc connection and you have to
    J> change the configuration while in the library to infrastructure.
    J> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Thanks for the reply. Ive got this sorted now. I think my main
    problem was that I wasnt 100% sure that this was possible. Now
    it works fine. Feedback always helps.

    Ian., Jun 18, 2007
  5. Ian.

    Ian. Guest

    wrote:

    a@h> Try pinging by IP address. This bypasses DNS which resolves
    a@h> names to IP addresses.

    Ive tried a lot more things now and its working. Thanks for the reply.
    Actually the DNS was resolving ok. Either the ping was not leaving
    the libraries system, or its results not getting back. Dunno which,
    but I suspect the libraries firewall has something to do with it.
    I was successful at pinging the Gateway and the two DNS by number
    but that was all. Anyway Pop3 seems to be ok. The trick with accessing
    the web was that everything had to go through a proxy. One cant access
    the web directly. Havnt tried any other ports yet.

    a@h> I think MiniStumbler works with Win95 and some Belkin adapters.
    a@h> If so it should tell you what wireless networks your laptop can see.

    Im going to investigate this, thanks. ATM the NIC just latches into
    one signal, the strongest, I suppose. If there was another network
    there, Ive no way of telling.

    a@h> I know how to set up XP, but am not familiar with
    a@h> how you change things under Win95.

    Bit of this and a bit of that, it turns out.

    a@h> Main thing to find is the gateway, that gets you
    a@h> to the DHCP server which should lease your local m/c an IP
    a@h> address (assuming you haven't used a static ip address).

    ipconfig turned out to be useful.

    a@h> NB there are two default IP address ranges, it help if
    a@h> m/c's are singing from the sake hymn book, one
    a@h> range
    a@h> 10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255
    a@h> or
    a@h> 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255
    a@h> and the libraries gateway address is something
    a@h> they may have chosen for themselves.

    turned out to be 10.216.150.254. I dont know whether thats a real
    internet address or one reserved for local use.

    --
    Ian.
    Ian., Jun 18, 2007