Re: wider screen on computer vs TV set top DVD player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Colon Terminus, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. The jpg alledgedly from PowerDVD is 704 pixels wide. This corresponds to DVD
    standards. The picture alledgedly from the set-top box is 640 pixels wide.
    This corresponds to VGA standards. Something ain't right here. How, exactly,
    does one capture a video frame from a set-top box?

    ----

    ----

    Colon Terminus, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Colon Terminus

    Skid Guest

    "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message

    > The jpg alledgedly from PowerDVD is 704 pixels wide. This corresponds to

    DVD
    > standards. The picture alledgedly from the set-top box is 640 pixels wide.
    > This corresponds to VGA standards. Something ain't right here. How,

    exactly,
    > does one capture a video frame from a set-top box?

    Interesting. I'll admit I took the post at face value. Now I wonder.

    Skid, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Colon Terminus

    Kendear Guest

    Skid wrote:
    > How, exactly, does one capture a video frame from a set-top box?

    I just captured a frame from the DVD playing on the PC, and then crop
    out the part I see on TV (using the tree on the right and the
    concrete wall on the left as a reference).

    Kendear, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Colon Terminus

    nospam Guest

    Kendear <> wrote in news:qtlBb.486552$Fm2.471632
    @attbi_s04:

    > Skid wrote:
    > > How, exactly, does one capture a video frame from a set-top box?

    > I just captured a frame from the DVD playing on the PC, and then crop
    > out the part I see on TV (using the tree on the right and the
    > concrete wall on the left as a reference).

    Apparently, no one else on Earth has anywhere near the level of overscan as
    your pictures show. However, this problem can easily be fixed by buying any
    SONY DVD player and any of their newer widescreen TV sets (2003 and later).
    This will guarantee 100% of the picture area stored on the DVD will be
    displayed on playback.

    nospam, Jan 8, 2004