Re: wider screen on computer vs TV set top DVD player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Codswallop, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Codswallop

    Codswallop Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 04:55:26 GMT, Kendear wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    > It seems that I can play DVDs on the
    > computer and get wider screen, than
    > if I use a TV set top DVD player...

    Probably "overscan".

    The DVD player probably outputs too wide, and the TV probably overscans
    that.

    Make sure your TV is properly calibrated (you'll probably need to get a
    serviceperson out).

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)
    Codswallop, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Codswallop

    Kendear Guest

    > Probably "overscan".
    >
    > The DVD player probably outputs too wide, and the TV probably overscans
    > that.
    >
    > Make sure your TV is properly calibrated (you'll probably need to get a
    > serviceperson out).

    actually, I tried it on 4 TVs (in different rooms)
    and they are all the same.

    try it yourself too with your DVDs... i think you should
    get the same result.
    Kendear, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Codswallop

    Skid Guest

    "Kendear" <> wrote in message

    > > Probably "overscan".
    > >
    > > The DVD player probably outputs too wide, and the TV probably overscans
    > > that.
    > >
    > > Make sure your TV is properly calibrated (you'll probably need to get a
    > > serviceperson out).

    > actually, I tried it on 4 TVs (in different rooms)
    > and they are all the same.
    >
    > try it yourself too with your DVDs... i think you should
    > get the same result.

    I have, and I don't. You mentioned you have tried different settings on your
    player. For a standard 4:3 TV, it should be set to letterbox. Overscan might
    knock a little off the sides, but not as much as you're seeing. It almost
    looks like you're using the fullscreen P/S setting or the picture has been
    zoomed.

    Whatever the cause, I can assure you those screen captures (which should not
    be posted in non-binary groups,) are not normal.
    Skid, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Codswallop

    Adrian Guest

    Kendear wrote:
    >> Probably "overscan".
    >>
    >> The DVD player probably outputs too wide, and the TV probably
    >> overscans that.
    >>
    >> Make sure your TV is properly calibrated (you'll probably need to
    >> get a serviceperson out).

    > actually, I tried it on 4 TVs (in different rooms)
    > and they are all the same.
    >
    > try it yourself too with your DVDs... i think you should
    > get the same result.

    It's normal for a domestic TV to overscan.
    Adrian, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Codswallop

    Rick Pali Guest

    Rick Pali, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Codswallop

    Biz Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    > Kendear wrote:
    > >> Probably "overscan".
    > >>
    > >> The DVD player probably outputs too wide, and the TV probably
    > >> overscans that.
    > >>
    > >> Make sure your TV is properly calibrated (you'll probably need to
    > >> get a serviceperson out).

    > > actually, I tried it on 4 TVs (in different rooms)
    > > and they are all the same.
    > >
    > > try it yourself too with your DVDs... i think you should
    > > get the same result.

    > It's normal for a domestic TV to overscan.

    I assume you mean consumer level tv's, and not just domestic tvs? IME, tv's
    all over the world employ overscan...
    Biz, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Codswallop

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:22:58 GMT, Rick Pali wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >> It's normal for a domestic TV to overscan.

    > As opposed to all those imported TVs?

    He did, of course, mean domestic as in "home", rather than "local".

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to email)
    Codswallop, Dec 3, 2003
  8. Codswallop

    Kendear Guest

    Skid wrote:
    >>try it yourself too with your DVDs... i think you should
    >>get the same result.

    > I have, and I don't. You mentioned you have tried different settings on your
    > player. For a standard 4:3 TV, it should be set to letterbox. Overscan might
    > knock a little off the sides, but not as much as you're seeing. It almost
    > looks like you're using the fullscreen P/S setting or the picture has been
    > zoomed.

    Nobody is able to produce the result I am getting?
    Or people just don't care?

    It can be produced on my 4 TVs and 3 DVD players
    as well as on 2 PCs with PowerDVD and WinDVD...
    so unless this is a dream...
    Kendear, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Codswallop

    Justin Guest

    Kendear wrote on [Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:42:59 GMT]:

    > Skid wrote:
    >>>try it yourself too with your DVDs... i think you should
    >>>get the same result.

    >> I have, and I don't. You mentioned you have tried different settings on your
    >> player. For a standard 4:3 TV, it should be set to letterbox. Overscan might
    >> knock a little off the sides, but not as much as you're seeing. It almost
    >> looks like you're using the fullscreen P/S setting or the picture has been
    >> zoomed.

    > Nobody is able to produce the result I am getting?
    > Or people just don't care?

    It's called overscan
    it happens to everyone

    Or did you not read the responses?
    Justin, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Codswallop

    Skid Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Kendear wrote on [Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:42:59 GMT]:

    > >> I have, and I don't. You mentioned you have tried different settings on

    your
    > >> player. For a standard 4:3 TV, it should be set to letterbox. Overscan

    might
    > >> knock a little off the sides, but not as much as you're seeing. It

    almost
    > >> looks like you're using the fullscreen P/S setting or the picture has

    been
    > >> zoomed.

    > > Nobody is able to produce the result I am getting?
    > > Or people just don't care?

    > It's called overscan
    > it happens to everyone
    >
    > Or did you not read the responses?

    Most everyone gets a little overscan, though it is possible to eliminate or
    adjust it in some instances -- I can disable it or adjust the display to fit
    my TV using ATI's DVD player, for example.

    But the captures the OP showed us were extreme, clipping off a good portion
    of the sides. I do NOT see that degree of overscan on any of my TVs or
    players, PC or standalone.
    Skid, Dec 5, 2003