Re: Wi-Fi network..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, May 23, 2008.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:

    > Its it possible to construct a Open Wi-Fi system with No PC's but has dnload restrictions.
    >

    > Like that, that is used in Airports.
    >

    > Maybe using a intelligent router if such a thing is made.

    Download restrictions how so Roger? Restricting amount that can be
    downloaded by MAC address, protocols/ports that can be used, or websites
    that can be visited?

    There's a lot of custom firmware for Linksys WRT54G wireless routers
    that may do some (or all) of what you wish. Otherwise running an IPCop
    box with various addons behind the WAP might also do what you want. If
    you provide more information as to the result you want to get it's
    likely someone will have done the same thing before.
    EMB, May 23, 2008

  2. EMB

    Gordon Guest

    http://www.zenbu.co.nz might be of some help.
    Gordon, May 23, 2008

  3. In article <g1564k$k68$>, EMB did write:

    > Brian Mathews wrote:
    >>
    >> Maybe using a intelligent router if such a thing is made.

    > There's a lot of custom firmware for Linksys WRT54G wireless routers
    > that may do some (or all) of what you wish.

    Yes, but those run the OS that begins with an L, to which the OP has a
    pronounced allergy. A loudly and repeatedly pronounced allergy.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 24, 2008