Re: Why would it do that?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Hydroman, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Hydroman

    Hydroman Guest

    The system may have shutdown prematurely the first time and when it does
    a key gets entered into the registry which will cause the error to persist.
    Go into the registry and find the key under:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    DESCRIPTION
    MICROSOFT
    RPC
    UUIDPERSISTENTDATA

    On the right-hand side you will see a LastTimeAllocated key. Click on it and delete it.
    If the error reoccurs then go back into the registry to see if the key is back, if it is then
    it's a Microsoft problem with the O/S. I would suggest rebuilding the HD formatting the
    harddrive with a /U switch with is Unconditional then see if you get errors.

    --
    Larry

    A+ and MCP certified

    Kathy <> wrote in message news:...
    Here is the problem...Windows has seemed to be acting up lately so last week I reformatted my HD. You all already know that when you load Windows back onto the HD that it will restart the computer twice during the installation process, well at one time during one of the startups it booted into Safe Mode (I thought that this was weird, but anyway, I went to Start and hit Restart) after that the installation went okay until the next restart. After the next restart I get an illegal operations box. I clicked close and then there was nothing in the blue screen to the right of the screen, no writing like it usually shows, so I restarted the computer and the installation went fine after that. Then I restarted the computer after a while and just before it went to restart I get another illegal operations box, I clicked that closed and then the computer restarted okay. So far everything has been fine, but it's just that this has been bugging me and has been making me wonder why it did this. Has anyone else had this happen to them? The OS is Windows 98SE.

    Kathy
    A+

    Hydroman, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Hydroman

    Hydroman Guest

    format the harddrive like this: FORMAT C:/U /S U is for Unconditional and S is to transfer system files
    Kathy <> wrote in message news:...
    Thanks. I'm not comfortable with the registry because I haven't done much in it, but I have to get used to it sometime, huh?

    When you say rebuilding the HD, you do mean reformatting, right?

    Thanks again,
    Kathy
    A+

    Hydroman, Jul 24, 2003