Re: Why Wont Some DVD+R's Play?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by RichA, Apr 16, 2005.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:49:17 -0400, "Ric Kaysen"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for some insight from the experts here because I figure just
    >about everybody is more knowledgeable on this subject than I am. I download
    >form Torrent spy and burn DVDs on my HP Media Center which utilizes the DVD+
    >format. Most of the time, they work just fine on my Sony DVD/VHS player.
    >Every once in a while I burn a disk that will play OK on the computer, but
    >when I put it in the Sony, I get an error message that tells me the disk is
    >unreadable. What might cause some to work and others not?...TIA

    According to one fellow I spoke to, it's not predicated solely on
    DVD+r versus DVD-r. The other factors are:
    -The player.
    -The burner.
    -The disc manufacturer.
    The person I spoke to swore by Maxell and told me that cheap discs
    (like Philips) simply sucked and to stay away from them and I'd
    see much better playback ratios from the DVD+R discs I burned.
    However, I haven't done the tests so I don't know yet.
    What I DO know is that playback varies. My higher end Sony will
    report c0013 errors with some discs and not play them. My cheapo
    "Cyberhome" will report "bad disk" which I'll ignore, hit play and
    the disk will play. Go figure.
    But this is nothing new. CD-Rs had the same problems. Some burned on
    Panasonic drives couldn't be played in Sony drives, etc, etc.
    -Rich
    RichA, Apr 16, 2005