Re: Why Win7 or Vista?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Dec 1, 2010.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "AleXX" <-dalai-baru.net> wrote in message
    >> Frankly, what advantages have these 2 later Microsoft Operating System
    >> over the older and more stable version of Xp?

    > There is no advantage.
    >
    > That's not entirely true, they (mostly Win7) appear to be focused on
    > "cloud computing" where significant portions of the workload is done on
    > the 'net. I suppose one could make a strong argument that I'm too stupid
    > to understand what benefit that actually brings me, but I don't see the
    > benefit. And the overhead that you have cited is significant, especially
    > in the face of scant benefits.

    The reason is:
    1. There USED to be dumb terminals that worked from anywhere - via phone
    line. DEC had cluster technology in the 80's so it was a virtual mainframe.
    But not for the masses. PC's used terminal emulation and could fit the bill
    for either.
    2. In the workplace , there was money to be made by creating workstations
    ( back when mainframes/ phone lines would be overloaded by CAD / CAM users)
    Computer companies exploited that for all it was worth. ( Think Sun, DEC,
    Apollo, later MSFT, ...)
    Now no reason for mass migration to anything, so
    3. CREATE a reason -: cloud computing - aka "Expensive dumb terminals".
    4. Now MSFT, providers can supply the software ( on a contract basis) that
    YOU used to buy. You are now dishing out cash but now for the
    software/availability ... you're LEASING time/software, not owning it

    Basically you're back at #1 except that your check goes to the software
    company and not the timeshare company ( think MSFT vs. AOL, CompuServe)

    - Bobb -, Dec 1, 2010

  2. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "AleXX" <-dalai-baru.net> wrote in message
    >>> Frankly, what advantages have these 2 later Microsoft Operating System
    >>> over the older and more stable version of Xp?

    >> There is no advantage.
    >>
    >> That's not entirely true, they (mostly Win7) appear to be focused on
    >> "cloud computing" where significant portions of the workload is done on
    >> the 'net. I suppose one could make a strong argument that I'm too stupid
    >> to understand what benefit that actually brings me, but I don't see the
    >> benefit. And the overhead that you have cited is significant, especially
    >> in the face of scant benefits.

    > The reason is:
    > 1. There USED to be dumb terminals that worked from anywhere - via phone
    > line. DEC had cluster technology in the 80's so it was a virtual
    > mainframe. But not for the masses. PC's used terminal emulation and could
    > fit the bill for either.
    > 2. In the workplace , there was money to be made by creating workstations
    > ( back when mainframes/ phone lines would be overloaded by CAD / CAM
    > users) Computer companies exploited that for all it was worth. ( Think
    > Sun, DEC, Apollo, later MSFT, ...)
    > Now no reason for mass migration to anything, so
    > 3. CREATE a reason -: cloud computing - aka "Expensive dumb terminals".
    > 4. Now MSFT, providers can supply the software ( on a contract basis) that
    > YOU used to buy. You are now dishing out cash but now for the
    > software/availability ... you're LEASING time/software, not owning it
    >
    > Basically you're back at #1 except that your check goes to the software
    > company and not the timeshare company ( think MSFT vs. AOL, CompuServe)

    I think you said essentially the same thing as I said, but with more detail.

    As a user, Cloud Computing means to me that instead of loading my local
    resources with applications and programs, I can rent a program that resides
    out on a cloud somewhere. The only benefit I see to me is that maybe I use a
    program twice or three times a year, and instead of buying it for $179, I
    could rent it for a day for $25. For a few programs, this could make sense,
    but if there is a push to move the MSoft Office Suite to a strictly
    cloud-experience then there is a huge new cost of computing to face users
    down the road. Win7 is supposed to (as I understand it) help to facilitate
    cloud computing. I'm not sure this is a good thing or not. I suppose it
    depends on the cloud -- whether it is white and fluffy, or black and
    menacing. ...if the silver cloud has a black lining, or not.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 1, 2010

  3. - Bobb -

    Jason Guest

    I Still use XP because 7 can't handle the programs. There maybe only 1
    or two things in 7 worth having otherwise stick to XP Pro.

    Jason, Dec 4, 2010