Re: Why my PC renames my OS HD with "F?"

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Night_Seer, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Night_Seer

    Night_Seer Guest

    "Fogar" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > after having formatted the HD of my PC it has automatically named the
    > HD where there is the OS with "F". I would Like to change it with "C"
    > but going on Tools of Management Disk I don't succeed to renome it.
    > Should I perhaps go into the BIOS and to modify it?
    > How precisely? I'd like to format again and I like to have a "C" HD.
    > Thanks
    >

    > bye Fogar

    This has happened to me before. You can't change the OS partition drive
    letter, I think even with partition magic. If you don't mind reformatting
    like you said, I would suggest you do that. Only this time, disconnect all
    hard drives (it would be enough to just remove the power to them for the
    time being), and zip drives except for your OS drive, and reinstall windows.
    For me, I have a RAID array as my main OS hard drive, but since it is on a
    secondary controller, it sees it after the main motherboard IDE controllers,
    and therefore assigns drive letters beginning there and then moves on to any
    secondary controllers. When I do a fresh install, I always disconnect every
    hard drive, every cd drive I won't be using, and the zip drive (also
    disconnect any USB devices, like external hard drives). You can easily
    connect them after the os is installed, and they will be recognized
    immediately (I know your probably knowledgeable enough to know not to
    disconnect anything with the power on, but just in case you aren't, don't
    mess with anything inside the case until your unplugged from the wall).

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jun 23, 2003