Re: Why Linux is ideal in a business environment

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by rapskat, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. rapskat

    rapskat Guest

    rapskat , wrote in message
    :

    > An install of Linux is perpetual. Regular updates ensure that your
    > system is not obsolesced or outdated, and that you will always be
    > running the most recent, secure and best version of the platform and
    > applications. There is no need to run out and purchase the latest
    > version, because you will already have it.

    So, what's the update path from SuSE 8 to 9? Mandrake 9 to 10?
    rapskat, Jan 19, 2005

  2. rapskat

    Guest

    My technique under Slackware, honed from years of putzing around, is to
    do a complete new install of the latest release and all the software
    with it, on a fresh partition. then I bring over my work files,
    mailboxes and so on little by little checking for anomalies as I go.

    Most of the programs and suites that I use (TeX, Gimp, Xpdf, GVim
    etc.) are included in Slackware.

    Hard disks are cheap. Right now I have a 10 Gig and an 80 Gig.
    John Culleton
    , Jan 19, 2005