Re: WHy is printer price skyrocketing?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Keith, Nov 18, 2010.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 01:50:56 -0600, "Jane_Galt" <>
    wrote in
    [ 24hoursupport.helpdesk ]:

    > HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium Wireless e-All-in-One (CM758A#B1H)
    >
    > About a week ago, I priced this at amazon.com and it was $318.
    >
    > I put it on my Wish List.
    >
    > A few hours later it was around $348, where it stayed until tonight.
    >
    > Now it's $398?
    >
    > What the heck is going on?
    >
    > Does amazon.com raise prices on you because you put something on your wish
    > list?
    >
    > What else could it be?

    Often times companies will raise the price of an item before they announce
    a sale. For example, next week they may announce the printer on sale for
    20% off so the $398 drops to $318.60

    --
    Best Regards, Keith
    http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/
    Keith, Nov 18, 2010

  2. Keith

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 02:54:43 -0800, Keith wrote:

    > Often times companies will raise the price of an item before they
    > announce a sale. For example, next week they may announce the printer on
    > sale for 20% off so the $398 drops to $318.60

    That's illegal here in the UK.

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 18, 2010

  3. Keith

    nut Guest

    On 18/11/2010 13:50, Aardvark wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 02:54:43 -0800, Keith wrote:
    >
    >> Often times companies will raise the price of an item before they
    >> announce a sale. For example, next week they may announce the printer on
    >> sale for 20% off so the $398 drops to $318.60

    > That's illegal here in the UK.

    Is it ****. ASDA mark up piss wine for £8 per bottle for a month just so
    they can roll it back to £3.99 (or 3 for a tenner) and make people think
    they're getting a bargain.

    It happens all the time in supermarkets, nothing illegal about it so
    long as they sell it for a month before reducing it.

    They'll have a single line of piss wine, ridiculously priced, which
    nobody buys... then a month later they'll go crazy and make it a
    featured item at less than half price.

    Buy now while stocks last, etc.
    nut, Nov 18, 2010
  4. Keith

    joevan Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:50:36 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 02:54:43 -0800, Keith wrote:
    >
    >> Often times companies will raise the price of an item before they
    >> announce a sale. For example, next week they may announce the printer on
    >> sale for 20% off so the $398 drops to $318.60

    >That's illegal here in the UK.

    I heard prostitution was too, but, butt and more.
    joevan, Nov 18, 2010
  5. On 18/11/10 14:50, Aardvark wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 02:54:43 -0800, Keith wrote:
    >
    >> Often times companies will raise the price of an item before they
    >> announce a sale. For example, next week they may announce the printer on
    >> sale for 20% off so the $398 drops to $318.60

    > That's illegal here in the UK.

    Also illegal in France. Before a cut off can be announced, the "announced
    old price" must have been seen for many weeks; at least 2 months, forgot
    how many exactly; probably more than 8w.

    --
    >o_/ DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre (aka DoubleHP) http://benoit.demaine.info/

    If computing were an exact science, IT engineers would'nt have work \_o<

    "So all that's left, Is the proof that love's not only blind but deaf."
    (FAKE TALES OF SAN FRANCISCO, Arctic Monkeys)
    DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre, Nov 19, 2010
  6. Keith

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:36:13 +0100, DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre wrote:

    > On 18/11/10 14:50, Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 02:54:43 -0800, Keith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Often times companies will raise the price of an item before they
    >>> announce a sale. For example, next week they may announce the printer
    >>> on sale for 20% off so the $398 drops to $318.60

    >> That's illegal here in the UK.

    > Also illegal in France. Before a cut off can be announced, the
    > "announced old price" must have been seen for many weeks; at least 2
    > months, forgot how many exactly; probably more than 8w.

    Yup. I think our retail sales laws operate on the same principle, both
    being EU members.

    Aardvark, Nov 19, 2010
  7. Keith

    geothermal Guest

    On Nov 18, 7:16 am, nut <> wrote:
    > On 18/11/2010 13:50, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 02:54:43 -0800, Keith wrote:

    > >> Often times companies will raise the price of an item before they
    > >> announce a sale. For example, next week they may announce the printer on
    > >> sale for 20% off so the $398 drops to $318.60

    > > That's illegal here in the UK.

    > Is it ****. ASDA mark up piss wine for £8 per bottle for a month just so
    > they can roll it back to £3.99 (or 3 for a tenner) and make people think
    > they're getting a bargain.
    >
    > It happens all the time in supermarkets, nothing illegal about it so
    > long as they sell it for a month before reducing it.

    I wonder if supermarkets are excluded in the law against that
    practice.
    Hmmm that reminds me I was going to look up "loss leader".
    Loss leaders being standard practice most everywhere.

    Interesting reading...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_pricing

    JM