Re: Why does the iPhone take such crappy photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Whisky-dave, Jul 9, 2013.

  1. Whisky-dave

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Monday, 8 July 2013 21:43:52 UTC+1, Mitch Bujard wrote:

    > Trying to outrun a race car with a beetle would fall inthe same kind of
    >
    > delusions.

    But who's the better driver ;-)

    >iPhones maybe great in their range, it would be stupid to
    >
    > think they can equate SLR with bigger sensors at higher resolutions.

    It would be but sometimes the image is what's important.

    > BUT it is equally silly to systematically look down at smaller tools
    >
    > just because they are limited.

    That's what the miss's said ;-)

    > >> plane in the sjy. Same thing. Tele lens mandatory. Unapplicable to a phone OT

    > > ...and yet there are all sorts of folks trying to take those shots at

    > > air shows and other events with iPhones and Android cameras.

    I think you need to understand why they are taking such pictures begfore judging them.

    > And this is like some folks trying to immortalise the pyramids with a
    >
    > small pocket size flash.

    Are you saying you can purchase a flash gun that will immortalise the pyramids ?
    Maybe there's a pro system, but I can;t afford it, I'd recommend using an iphone when the sun comes up, if you want a picture of the pyramids.
    Othrer phones and camera can be used with varrying degrees of success and pleasure.

    >But is ignorance a sin ? Trial an error is
    >
    > what regular folks did from the Kodak Brownie

    Yes and those trial cost money so they couldn;t make as manny trials or errors as one can do today.

    > to todays phone cameras,
    >
    > through the Instamatic. They also shot countless blured pictures of
    >
    > their kids, and every landmark in existence with their ugly siblings in
    >
    > front. It was not intended as /photography/ (that was italics), but as
    >
    > /souvenir/.

    I agree in fact any fool, can go and buy a picturs of pyramids, but teh ones that are most cared about by the person taking them is teh one they took of their snotty nosed kid cying in front of the pyramids.

    >To paraphrase Proust, electronic madeleines. Memory
    >
    > triggers of sorts. Absolutely no clue about what is photography. And
    >
    > when they keep them in their wallets, it is not so much the picture
    >
    > quality they carry, as a totem of a memory. Some kind of symbolic link,
    >
    > akin to the voodoo doll to the real thing, only in a good sense but
    >
    > same nature.

    Also the pictures peole have in theri wallet of teh kids, cat or misses do not have to be artistic professinal mater pieces, in fact they often aren't and there's a good reason form that.

    > > Unless a hapenstance, this kind of picture requires a complete studio

    > > and appropriate light control, plus a spray to create the drops. Which

    > > often enough in such a still, can de made of glycerin.

    > > In this case outdoors in the rain.

    > >> I hate to tell you, but even a regular SLR is probably short to give

    > >> the best rendition. A larger format is probably preferable.

    > > Perhaps, but in this case the camera I used was a DSLR, and not even a FF DSLR.

    > It was a happenstance. Good. Note I did not write 'a lucky shot',
    >
    > because you did capture the essence of it with skills and an excellent
    >
    > eye. This is a brilliant practical demonstration that the camera is
    >
    > often less in the result than the eye of the photographer.

    I have a similar shot taken years ago using a canon A1 and of course scanned in.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/whiskydave/624742221/

    this was done at a car show, it was spitting with rain. It was suggested that I remove the rain drops, but I liked them , I doubt I'd think of adding them myslef, as it's rare I walk around with glycerin.

    > > Actually the quality of that image has much to do with the head behind

    > > the viewfinder seeing the potential of the shot, and post processing.

    > > None of which could be achieved from the starting point of an iPhone

    > > capture.

    > Are you absolutely sure this could not be achieved with a smaller
    >
    > camera ?

    I think it could have been, there's nothing that stands out making me think such things would be impossible.

    > iPhone or android phone cameras have limitations.

    I don;t think I've ever seen a camera of any kind that doesn't have it's own limitations.

    >It does not make them
    >
    > 'crappy'. Sure, you cannot cross the Atlantic on a paddle boat. But you
    >
    > can get a fairly good time on a small lake. Not to mention tender
    >
    > moments with another human being.

    and you don;t need a boat for those, but a camera to record them......

    > Using a more elaborate camera requires skills that most people do not
    >
    > have.

    I don;t think that is true.

    Who has the most skills the person with the manual camera or the one with the automatic camera, the question means nothing what matters is what they capure and the reasons for it.
    Whisky-dave, Jul 9, 2013