Re: Why does the iPhone take such crappy photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J. Clarke, Jul 8, 2013.

  1. J. Clarke

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <51db01d7$0$14013$>, DontWantSpam-
    But_'Reply-to' says...

    > On 2013-07-08 15:11:02 +0000, Savageduck said:
    >
    > > On 2013-07-08 06:22:34 -0700, Mitch Bujard
    > > <DontWantSpam-But_'Reply-to'> said:

    > >> Indeed. *IF* the picture is to seen in large format, and **IF** the
    > >> operator knows what to do with a camera. Aim, light, steadiness and
    > >> artistic skills are even more necessary with good lenses.

    > > Quite simply, a phone camera, iPhone or Android, because of limitations
    > > of sensor & lens, is not capable for capturing images much better than
    > > acceptable snapshots. Applying the "Instagram" type filters is merely a
    > > fix for questionable image quality. Composition and other photographic
    > > skill not withstanding.
    > >
    > > Making captures such as these three examples, shot with a Nikon D300S,
    > > is just not possible with an iPhone.
    > > <
    > > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Shared Images/SA-Images/DSC_3491Aw.jpg
    > >

    > A small bird on a branch. This requires a tele lens. Not applicable, IMHO. OT
    >
    > > <
    > > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u... Over Paso/Warbirds Over Paso/DNC_4735B1w.jpg
    > >

    > A plane in the sjy. Same thing. Tele lens mandatory. Unapplicable to a phone OT

    FWIW, there is a telephoto lens available for the iphone. I have no
    idea how well it works but if you go over to flickr.com and search on
    "iphone telephoto" you'll find quite a lot of examples.

    > > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Shared Images/Automotive/DNC5877-E1w.jpg
    > >

    > Unless a hapenstance, this kind of picture requires a complete studio
    > and appropriate light control, plus a spray to create the drops. Which
    > often enough in such a still, can de made of glycerin. I hate to tell
    > you, but even a regular SLR is probably short to give the best
    > rendition. A larger format is probably preferable.
    >
    > But, and for the sake of discussion, this is not out of reach of most
    > digital camera. The quality of this picture has to do more about setup
    > than resolution?

    Yeah. If lost all my equipment now and had the same amount I spent on
    it with which to replace it, I'd put a lot less into camera and lenses
    and a lot more into lighting.

    J. Clarke, Jul 8, 2013

  2. J. Clarke

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 07-08-2013 14:32, J. Clarke wrote:
    > FWIW, there is a telephoto lens available for the iphone. I have no
    > idea how well it works but if you go over to flickr.com and search on
    > "iphone telephoto" you'll find quite a lot of examples.

    Amazing

    <https://www.google.com/search?q=%22iphone+telephoto%22>

    --
    Wes Groleau

    “Lewis's case for the existence of God is fallacious.â€
    "You mean like circular reasoning?â€
    “He believes in God. Therefore, he's fallacious."
    Wes Groleau, Jul 9, 2013

  3. J. Clarke

    nospam Guest

    In article <krfti6$2b9$>, Wes Groleau
    <> wrote:

    > > FWIW, there is a telephoto lens available for the iphone. I have no
    > > idea how well it works but if you go over to flickr.com and search on
    > > "iphone telephoto" you'll find quite a lot of examples.

    > Amazing
    >
    > <https://www.google.com/search?q=%22iphone+telephoto%22>

    there are quite a few add-on lens accessories for the iphone. one of
    the more amusing ones is this:

    <http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/iphonelensdial-2.jpg>

    or use your existing nikon or canon lenses:

    <http://cdn.photojojo.net/store/awesomeness/productImages/iphone-slr-mou
    nt-e14c_600.0000001309999543.jpg>
    <http://cdn.photojojo.net/store/awesomeness/productImages/iphone-slr-mou
    nt-6035_600.0000001310024032.jpg>