Re: Why do DSLR's still use mirrors?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Stevens, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens Guest

    Eric Stevens, Nov 7, 2008

  2. Alan Browne wrote:
    > Eric Stevens wrote:
    >> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 21:16:18 -0700, "Roger N. Clark (change username
    >> to rnclark)" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Test your shutter lag in your camera at:
    >>> http://www.shooting-digital.com/columns/schwartz/shutter_release_test/default.asp

    > On Safari and Firefox (Mac) the arrow hesitates passing through 0, so
    > better to test from the 1 at the bottom...

    It does that with Firefox and MS Internet Explorer on a PC as well. I
    wonder if that's a deliberate built-in delay to allow for human reaction
    time? Or just a fault in the Adobe Flash player?

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 7, 2008

  3. Eric Stevens

    SMS Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > If you have a stopwatch timer on your computer you could run that and
    > then depress the shutter as it goes through each second. Do 5 in a row
    > (say every 2 or 3 seconds) and then take the stats from the images...

    The results I got were very close to the published tests by
    professionals, so that program does work pretty well.

    It was kind of cool to see how long the shutter stayed open to
    compensate for the low light, you can see the arrow as if it was in
    time-lapse.

    In any case, it only verified what everyone already knew--the auto-focus
    on D-SLRs is much much faster.

    SMS, Nov 7, 2008