Re: Why are Symantec/Norton products such pieces of sh*t?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by dave, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    techshare wrote:
    > Especially with the latest SWEN worm ...
    >
    > In the past two years I've made more money fixing problems, removing, or (in
    > many cases) replacing POS Norton "anti-virus" and "Internet Security" with
    > competing products like Mcafee Scan. I have seen Symantec products cause SO
    > many different problems ... on top of that ... easy removal is nearly
    > impossible (just take a look at RNIS - what a bunch of sh*t!). I refuse to
    > sell the Symantec products as I'd surely lose money big time .... but lately
    > it's actually getting tough to make money on removing the product or
    > (rarely) "fixing" installations. The product seems to be like a worm in and
    > of itself. What gives, and what's the best alternative? I've had good luck
    > with Mcafee for a virus scanner. After I install it, I rarely receive
    > callbacks with any problems.

    Then why don't you just install a proxy server?

    Save you a lot of headaches in the long run...
    dave, Sep 21, 2003

  2. dave

    techshare Guest

    ??? Explain that response.

    techshare, Sep 21, 2003

  3. dave

    dave Guest

    techshare wrote:
    > ??? Explain that response.
    > "dave" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>techshare wrote:
    >>
    >>>Especially with the latest SWEN worm ...
    >>>
    >>>In the past two years I've made more money fixing problems, removing, or

    >>Then why don't you just install a proxy server?
    >>
    >>Save you a lot of headaches in the long run...

    You complained about the Swen worm, and Norton AV and its
    limitations. The problem is not the AV, because Norton's
    Antivirus Software Standard Operating Procedure is pretty
    much like everyone else out there, since 1983.

    As for NORTON, I've committed about 1000 computers to the
    product, and I've never had a problem. Those that did, well,
    lets just say that not all the problems were caused by the
    AV, but rather by the Registry being messed up by another
    piece of SW.

    In fact, all AV software out there, in every regard, is
    creating a patch for every incident AFTER the major
    outbreak. PERIOD. They all **** things up with the
    registry, sometimes, one way or another.

    Therefore, if you want to really want an alternative approach to
    stopping worms and cracker from entering the networkstop this,
    you must therefore change the methodology of how you protect your
    client's networks, by using a proxy server.

    That, or simply maintain the current status quo, and
    simply continue doing what your doing and ignore the comments of
    your clients as they continue to complain about worms infecting
    on their systems. That choice is up to you.

    You must realize that crackers are getting more sophisticated
    today. The new WIN viruses of today take into account
    the security measures designed to intercept the previous versions
    of viruses, and attempt to code newer worms and viri to
    circumvent, bypass, turn off or destroy the AV software in some
    manner.

    By using a proxy server, you can reduce the intrusions of worms
    to your clients to a large degree, by either running a Norton or
    Computer Associates proxy running on Windows MS, or utilize a
    LINUX/BSD/UNIX/SOLARIS flavour of proxy server of your choice.

    Those are your options. The internet is replete with this and
    other security arguments. As a I.T. technician, I can't believe
    you never heard about this before.

    Reading the material out there is the only way to help you, and
    implementing what you know will not only make you a better I.T.
    person in the long run, but a valuable and better paid one too.

    http://www.cert.org/nav/index_green.html
    http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/phase1.html

    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.html

    HTH