    many systems deveolp weird crash patterns and unexplained slowdowns - remove
    McAfee and things return to normal. Why? No freakin idea.

    ---

    RussS, Sep 21, 2003

  2. RussS

    Guest

    best antivirus IMHO, is Trend Micro. Had McAfee at work, Norton at
    home. Trend Micro always gave notices of new virii and patches before
    either of those companies. Perhap Symantec has become too large and
    complacent....

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:19:56 +1200, "RussS" <>
    wrote:

    >I find McAfee substandard to Nortons. I used to run it, but had far too
    >many systems deveolp weird crash patterns and unexplained slowdowns - remove
    >McAfee and things return to normal. Why? No freakin idea.
    >

    >---

    , Sep 21, 2003

  3. RussS

    RussS Guest

    I have to admit that I have just purchased a copy of Trend last week to
    evaluate after some good comments. Haven't had a chance yet, but I have run
    their online sweep a couple times while sorting a couple weird problems and
    have been happy enough with the results.

    ---

    RussS, Sep 21, 2003
  4. RussS

    techshare Guest

    Are you talking about the latest versions of both of these products? I heard
    that OLDER versions of Mcafee scan were crummy ... and that the Norton
    product was probably better. However, that logic does NOT seem to apply
    anymore.

    For example, I have not seen one installation of "Norton Internet Security"
    that couldn't be removed without RNIS.

    1) WTF does it come up with a message saying you aren't the admin ... when
    you are?!
    2) Why in the world do we need some obscure utility to REMOVE the sh*tty
    product?
    3) Why does RNIS fail as well?! I ran it on an XP machine yesterday running
    some installation of NAV (I think '03). After reboot, NAV was disabled with
    a message saying it needed to be reinstalled! RNIS isn't supposed to touch
    it according to documentation.

    These latest Symantec products are crap ... but what's more important is
    that they dig themselves DEEP into the system ... and effective removal of
    the product is literally a game of chance. I have never had problems
    removing Mcafee Scan 7.0, and I have successfully removed SEVERAL virii and
    worms with the product.

    techshare, Sep 21, 2003