Re: Who's responsible for RR stop signs - RR or the city

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jowl, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. jowl

    jowl Guest

    Texas? Hmmmmmmmm. I'm surprised you have anything at all at your railroad
    crossings.

    "2145" <> wrote in message news:3f06f3bf_1@newsfeed...
    > The Texas Railroad Commission is considering replacing all gates and

    lighted
    > crossings with "STOP" signs.Reason,if you are involved in a train-car
    > accident at a railroad crossing,protected by gates and lights the lawyers
    > will always defeat the RR's in court hands down...On the other hand if you
    > fail to "stop and look both ways" who's fault is this going to be? The
    > railroads are looking for something similar to what the doctors now have
    > with the cap on malpractice lawsuits....The railroads want to do away with
    > the gates and lights for many reasons,the #1 reason being grade crossings
    > accidents,account they know it will cost them 300,000 plus attorney's fees
    > on each trail.Please forgive my grammar and errors...
    >
    > Frank
    >

    > PF <P.friedrich_12*nospam*@att.net> wrote in message
    > > Stop sign? Ours (NJ) are all lights, lights & gates, or "tracks out

    of

    jowl, Jul 6, 2003

  2. jowl

    Richard Guest

    The railroads have rights of ways whether they are federally owned, or
    privately owned.
    The crossings are the property of the railroads.
    The railroads determine which crossing gets what for warnings.
    The city has no say in the matter, but can press the railroad to implement
    stronger methods.

    The "Exempt" sign posted at a crossing tells those who are required to stop
    at crossings, such as fuel tankers, may cross without stopping.

    Richard, Jul 6, 2003

  3. jowl

    2145 Guest

    2145, Jul 6, 2003
  4. jowl

    PF Guest

    As I understand "exempt," the crossing is not required to be gated or
    lighted.... but the Brakeman must "escort" the engine or leading car across
    the roadway... and leave flares if the train has any length prohibiting him
    to Stand and act as flagman at the crossing.

    I have NEVER seen a train at an "Exempt" crossing at a major roadway... and
    the few I have seen on minor roads with minor branch lines were 'escorted
    with flares'

    Here in NJ we have MANY rights-of-way in disuse... some marked Exempt have
    NO TRACKS!
    (once, ca. 1920, we had more miles of rail / square mile of land than Any
    other state)

    Those in disuse may petition for abandoment, in which case, This state (NJ)
    "takes ownership" (really, custody to avoid loss of the right-of-way which
    would require its re-assembly)

    As an aside, do a Google for Morristown & Erie Railroad... currently
    applying to re-open the Rahway Valley RR right-of-way.
    PF, Jul 16, 2003
  5. jowl

    Steve Hall Guest

    Talk about a bigoted remark!

    --
    Steve Hall
    Commander - Lt. Col. Wm. M. Luffman Camp #938 SCV - Chatsworth, GA

    Steve Hall, Nov 2, 2003
  6. jowl

    docmill Guest

    "Steve Hall" <> wrote in

    > Talk about a bigoted remark!

    And a worthless x-posted remark Commander.

    --
    +++++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
    Docmill's "Home of Hot Links in the FryingSpam"
    docmill, Nov 2, 2003
  7. jowl

    Boomer Guest

    docmill <docmill@nyet_excited.com;up> wrote in

    > "Steve Hall" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Talk about a bigoted remark!
    >>

    > And a worthless x-posted remark Commander.

    And a bit late replying to 'jowl'. ;-)

    Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003
    Boomer, Nov 2, 2003
  8. jowl

    trout Guest

    Boomer wrote:

    > docmill <docmill@nyet_excited.com;up> wrote in
    >
    >> "Steve Hall" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Talk about a bigoted remark!
    >>>

    >> And a worthless x-posted remark Commander.

    > And a bit late replying to 'jowl'. ;-)

    I thought the subject line was vaguely familiar. Very vaguely.
    --
    "Week-enders. Sheesh."
    trout, Nov 2, 2003
  9. jowl

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Boomer continued:

    > docmill <docmill@nyet_excited.com;up> wrote in
    >
    >> "Steve Hall" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Talk about a bigoted remark!
    >>>

    >> And a worthless x-posted remark Commander.

    > And a bit late replying to 'jowl'. ;-)

    Was this the guy doing the 'project' to enforce a sign removal ?
    Is he still alive ?
    Didn't he used to drink with Will Shakespeare ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Nov 2, 2003
  10. It was on Sun, 02 Nov 2003 04:45:17 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    large jam doughnut, that Boomer wrote:

    > docmill <docmill@nyet_excited.com;up> wrote in
    >
    >> "Steve Hall" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Talk about a bigoted remark!
    >>>

    >> And a worthless x-posted remark Commander.

    > And a bit late replying to 'jowl'. ;-)

    This thread was abandoned eons ago! Well, last June anyway..<g>
    William Poaster, Nov 2, 2003
  11. jowl

    Steve Hall Guest

    First of all, my comment was NOT crossposted, it was sent to ONLY one
    message board, and that is the message board from which I received it.

    Steve Hall, Nov 4, 2003
  12. jowl

    Boomer Guest

    "Steve Hall" <> wrote in

    > First of all, my comment was NOT crossposted, it was sent to ONLY
    > one message board, and that is the message board from which I
    > received it.

    Yes. It was cross posted.

    24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.lawyers,alt.railroad
    Boomer, Nov 5, 2003
  13. jowl

    trout Guest

    (x-post preserved, as illustration)

    Steve Hall wrote:

    > First of all, my comment was NOT crossposted, it was sent to ONLY one
    > message board, and that is the message board from which I received it.

    From your message headers:

    From: "Steve Hall" <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.lawyers,alt.railroad
    Subject: Re: Who's responsible for RR stop signs - RR or the city
    Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 23:10:59 -0500

    When composing a reply; *look* at what it says in the "Newsgroups"
    line of the message window.
    If you reply to a cross-posted message, *your reply* will be
    cross-posted; unless you manually remove the other groups from that
    line.
    (As *this* message is now posted to three newsgroups; just to reply to
    you.)
    --
    "And it's *still* a damned old thread."
    trout, Nov 5, 2003
  14. jowl

    docmill Guest

    "Steve Hall" <> wrote in

    > First of all, my comment was NOT crossposted, it was sent to ONLY one
    > message board, and that is the message board from which I received it.

    Well, I really wanted to wait the length, as in how long you waited, of your
    reply, but usenet must move on.

    Your reply to the org. post was way overdue and thus .... worthless
    You X-posted your reply, and in this NG was totally ...... worthless
    You post back, denying X-posting ...... worthless
    Nup, nothin Priceless in this one Commander

    docmill, Nov 11, 2003