Re: Whole house surge suppressors

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by AG, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. AG

    AG Guest

    "Richard Ballard" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > (Richard Ballard) writes:
    >
    > >I am not qualified to discuss using a 'megger' to measure earth
    > >ground impedance, and I am not going to try. But I will make
    > >some general comments.
    > >
    > >Power surge suppressors do not provide power continuity during
    > >brief power outages, and data loss during brief power outage is
    > >more likely than lightning hitting the power system and burning
    > >your equipment. I recommend that any equipment vulnerable to
    > >data loss during brief power outages be protected by uninterruptible
    > >power supplies (UPSs -- e.g., battery packs that also include
    > >MOV surge protectors). Read the UPS manual and follow the
    > >OEM's use instructions. A poor man's effective approach is
    > >to power down delicate equipment during lightning storms.
    > >Loss of HVAC during power outages might force you to power
    > >down equipment anyway. YMMV.

    > Commercial MOV surge suppressor manufacturers assume
    > that your three wire AC outlets are wired properly. In the
    > field, techs assume that the Customer's three wire AC outlet
    > provides a proper chassis ground. I carry an inexpensive
    > LED AC outlet tester in my toolbox -- it identifies whether
    > an AC outlet is wired properly, whether the hot and neutral
    > wires are reversed, and whether the outlet's ground connection
    > is open (i.e., disconnected). Inexpensive and easy to use,
    > it tells me when I need to call a licensed electrician.

    That's a tool that I recomend every tech carry. I had one customer that,
    after I went over and tested his wiring to the computer, ended up having the
    entire house wiring updated. The electrician said the house was a fire
    waiting to happen.

    > I also carry an inexpensive LED telephone line tester in my
    > toolbox. The tester indicates when a telephone wall outlet is
    > working, and whether the wire pair is connected correctly
    > or is reversed (e.g., hot wire to return connection and
    > vice-versa).

    I also have one of these and suggest everyone carry one. Some "technicians"
    from the Telco do some really strange things to premises wiring.
    AG
    AG, Jul 6, 2004