Re: Whole drive crypt?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by VanguardLH, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    John Wilson wrote:

    > I need some encryption software to do file, folder and hard
    > drive encryption, with tools like TrueCrypt I can create only
    > encrypted drives, but I want to encrypt single files and folders
    > too, I have found some cool software at:
    >
    > http://www.download.com/Alligator-Data-Guard/3000-2092_4-10857242.html
    >
    > But it's for 20$! Is there any freeware or open source replacement?

    Your subject says you want to encrypt the entire drive. Then your body
    says that you don't (and instead want to encrypt just folders and
    files). Which do you want to do?

    Truecrypt can encrypt an entire partition (drive) or you can create a
    encrypted container in which you save your folders and files (and the
    container mounts as a drive).

    If you want your folders and files encrypted without using a drive
    letter then start reading the help including in Windows, especially on
    exporting the cert, on how to EFS (encrypted file system). It runs as
    an extensible file system within Windows XP Pro (just like the CDFS runs
    as an extensible file system for CD drives). Once you use EFS on a file
    or folder then only you can read those files and folders once you login
    under your Windows account. If you share your Windows account, you
    chose to share everything else, too.

    You mentioned Truecrypt so my guess is you are using Windows but you
    never bothered to mention WHICH version of Windows. Windows XP Pro
    includes EFS. Windows XP Home Edition does not. However, TrueCrypt
    supports Mac OS/X and Linux so maybe that's what you are using.
    VanguardLH, Nov 17, 2008