Re: Who wants a 4/3 digital compact camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. I laud the thought but doubt it will ever happen. I suspect a
    high-quality 30mm f/1.4 lens will be rather expensive and bulky for a
    compact, even if it only has to cover an APS sized format, never mind
    that the large size sensor and all the appropriate support electronics
    will be bulky as well.

    If they could make something along the line of the Contax Tix camera
    (28/2.8 lens, AE Program or aperture preferred, +/-2EV compensation)
    with an APS sized sensor, it would be excellent but expensive. I just
    doubt that you'd fit the 4/3 sensor and support electronics into that
    size body, but it might be possible. Contax TVSd is close but uses a
    much smaller sensor.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Godfrey DiGiorgi <> wrote in news:250720030937542754%
    :

    > I laud the thought but doubt it will ever happen. I suspect a
    > high-quality 30mm f/1.4 lens will be rather expensive and bulky for a
    > compact, even if it only has to cover an APS sized format, never mind
    > that the large size sensor and all the appropriate support electronics
    > will be bulky as well.

    I don't think it will have to be bulky. I have a prime
    50 mm 1.4 for my Pentax that is just outstanding. If
    we take a 4/3 sensor and scale everything down a factor 2.
    Then the lens will contain 8 times less glass. That would
    not be large - but you could make it even smaller by accepting
    F/2.0.

    > If they could make something along the line of the Contax Tix camera
    > (28/2.8 lens, AE Program or aperture preferred, +/-2EV compensation)
    > with an APS sized sensor, it would be excellent but expensive. I just
    > doubt that you'd fit the 4/3 sensor and support electronics into that
    > size body, but it might be possible. Contax TVSd is close but uses a
    > much smaller sensor.

    You need - 4/3 sensor - support logic - LCD - lens - room
    for controls - view finder. Hmmm ... support logic MUST
    be smaller than a film container.

    So ... this could be a very small camera.

    And it will take pictures that is better than anything
    you can buy, except for digital SLR with prime lenses.

    And the price - probably below $2000 I would guess,
    maybe even below $1000. The latter is of course only
    possible if the camera maker believs in a larger series.

    Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Paul Rubin <http://> wrote in

    > I think it's a technical possibility but probably a marketing
    > impossibility. As Roland says, the digicam electronics are (or should
    > become) smaller than a film cartridge, and the 4/3 sensor is already
    > smaller than an APS frame. Question is any camera maker would dare to
    > try selling a high-priced compact digicam without a zoom.

    Leica has made some very unsuccessful tries at making
    digital cameras (or rather branding digital cameras).
    This little goodie would be exactly in their niche.
    It will succeed (if it is good). Unfortunately, the brand
    Leica will make it even more expensive.

    Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Frankly, I have more confidence that Contax could pull off a niche
    product like this successfully and be more successful marketing it. It
    would be a sensible follow on to the very successful Contax T series
    compacts and a sister to the TVSD they are currently offering. But I am
    still skeptical about fitting that big a sensor and support electronics
    into this small a camera body. Good quality electronics in this realm
    are not smaller than a film canister and if you're going to sell
    something like this in the $1000-1200 price category, you better have
    top notch electronics and imaging quality.

    I'd buy one, but only if it performed in keeping with its price tag.
    The Contax TVSD is a very good camera but only marginally worth the
    hefty premium they get for it.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 25, 2003