Re: Who is the biggest internet phone company in the world?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stephen, Jul 1, 2011.

  1. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 01:03:14 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    ><phonepro> wrote in message news:phonepro.4vo1tp@none...
    >>
    >> Hi all, just a quicky. Does anyone have a clue who the biggest internet
    >> phone company in the world is currently. Is it skype?
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >> --
    >> phonepro

    >Voice traffic originated and carried over the Internet - Skype.
    > arguably not phone traffic as it is peer to peer not ITU.
    >
    >Companies providing regular phone service over the Internet [using SIP]
    > hard to say - here in the UK there are dozens (Voipfone, Sipgate,
    >Gradwell etc. etc.)
    >
    >Companies providing regular phone service where legs of the call are carried
    >over the internet. Several contenders here - AT&T, BT, Vodafone,
    >Telephonica (although by subscribers it is China Mobile). I suppose one
    >could ask query whether their backbone networks are private and so not part
    >of the [public] internet.

    and in real life most "conventional" phone / mobile companies more or
    less have to use IP internally at some point if they have bought new
    equipment in the last decade.

    All the old TDM kit doesnt seem to be made any more.....
    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    Stephen, Jul 1, 2011