Re: who controls etc/hosts

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Geoff, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    PLAIN JOE wrote:
    > I recently learned of this file residing deep in my system:
    > C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    >
    > Apparently it blocks the sites listed there. My question is: Who
    > entered these sites into the list?
    >
    > I suspect one program, Kazaa, blocking rival sites. There are many ad
    > sites listed there, which I certainly don't mind blocking, but how
    > and by whom were they entered into the list?

    the purpose of hosts is to bypass dns
    when the system wants to know the ip from a hostname, for example
    www.google.com
    it first looks in the hosts file, if it finds no entry for it, it then asks
    your assigned DNS server about it

    you ask who entered the sites into it, well you did
    (welcome to windows, insecure by design) :)
    really though, it'll be some program you ran added the entrys
    Geoff, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Geoff

    John D Loop Guest

    --
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!

    "PLAIN JOE" <> wrote in message
    > "Geoff" <> wrote in message
    > > PLAIN JOE wrote:
    > > > I recently learned of this file residing deep in my system:
    > > > C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    > > >
    > > > Apparently it blocks the sites listed there. My question is: Who
    > > > entered these sites into the list?
    > > >
    > > > I suspect one program, Kazaa, blocking rival sites. There are many ad
    > > > sites listed there, which I certainly don't mind blocking, but how
    > > > and by whom were they entered into the list?

    > > the purpose of hosts is to bypass dns
    > > when the system wants to know the ip from a hostname, for example
    > > www.google.com
    > > it first looks in the hosts file, if it finds no entry for it, it then

    > asks
    > > your assigned DNS server about it
    > >
    > > you ask who entered the sites into it, well you did
    > > (welcome to windows, insecure by design) :)
    > > really though, it'll be some program you ran added the entrys
    > >

    > One program that entered items into my HOSTS file is Kazaa. I used an anti
    > pop-up program before and uninstalled it. I know that I can delete all of
    > the entrees except the first and that I can ad to the list:
    > I found this site that has an updated HOSTS file with many ad producing
    > sites, most of which are already on my long list:
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > How do I know when a program makes changes to the HOSTS file. When I

    install
    > a program, will I always be susceptible to changes to the system without

    any
    > notification?

    If you install as Adminsitrator, any install can change anything...
    Try changing the hosts file to read only.
    John D Loop, Jan 1, 2004