Re: who controls etc/hosts

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by dave, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    PLAIN JOE wrote:
    > I recently learned of this file residing deep in my system:
    > C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    >
    > Apparently it blocks the sites listed there. My question is: Who entered
    > these sites into the list?
    >
    > I suspect one program, Kazaa, blocking rival sites. There are many ad sites
    > listed there, which I certainly don't mind blocking, but how and by whom
    > were they entered into the list?

    Your system administrator did.

    Don't **** with it.
    dave, Dec 31, 2003

  2. dave

    dave Guest

    PLAIN JOE wrote:
    > "dave" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>PLAIN JOE wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recently learned of this file residing deep in my system:
    >>>C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    >>>
    >>>Apparently it blocks the sites listed there. My question is: Who entered
    >>>these sites into the list?
    >>>
    >>>I suspect one program, Kazaa, blocking rival sites. There are many ad

    > sites
    >
    >>>listed there, which I certainly don't mind blocking, but how and by whom
    >>>were they entered into the list?

    >>Your system administrator did.
    >>
    >>Don't **** with it.
    >>

    > Guess what ... I'm the sole owner and user of the said computer. The
    > question remains: Who made the changes to this file and how?

    If this was a Unix flavour type of system, I could
    probably tell you, if you couldn't do it
    already yourself...

    It's probably one of the reasons why I don't use it,
    and switched to OpenBSD and Linux.

    However, are you using pop-up blocking, or some
    other software like net nanny?

    Those types of programs DO make changes to the
    HOSTS files sometimes to block content.
    dave, Dec 31, 2003

  3. On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:06:56 GMT, dave <> wrote:

    >PLAIN JOE wrote:
    >> I recently learned of this file residing deep in my system:
    >> C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    >>
    >> Apparently it blocks the sites listed there. My question is: Who entered
    >> these sites into the list?
    >>
    >> I suspect one program, Kazaa, blocking rival sites. There are many ad sites
    >> listed there, which I certainly don't mind blocking, but how and by whom
    >> were they entered into the list?

    >Your system administrator did.
    >
    >Don't **** with it.

    Maybe not...

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 31, 2003
  4. On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 08:00:43 GMT, "AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote:

    >"dave" <> wrote in message
    >> PLAIN JOE wrote:
    >> > "dave" <> wrote in message

    >entered

    >> > sites

    >whom

    >The hosts file don't block anything, it speeds thing up!
    >The hosts file is a part of the basic installation with an example of how to
    >modify it.
    >If you are concerned about what you have in there (from what you tell it
    >should be fairly empty) you can take everything away after the example exept
    >from this!
    >127.0.0.1 localhost
    >
    >AT

    The HOSTS file can redirect a URL's IP address to 127.0.0.1,
    effectively blocking access.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 31, 2003
  5. dave

    Geoff Guest

    > The hosts file don't block anything, it speeds thing up!
    > The hosts file is a part of the basic installation with an example of
    > how to modify it.
    > If you are concerned about what you have in there (from what you tell
    > it should be fairly empty) you can take everything away after the
    > example exept from this!
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    >
    > AT

    it's a bypass, it's not designed to 'speed things up'
    Geoff, Dec 31, 2003