Re: who controls etc/hosts

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by John D Loop, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. John D Loop

    John D Loop Guest

    Well,
    "blocking" the site isn't exactly the purpose of the hosts file.
    Whenever you give the browser a URL, it has to resolve the domain name to an
    IP address.
    It starts with the hosts file, then the DNS cache, then it does a DNS query.
    If you already know the IP address of the name, you can put it in there and
    speed up
    the name resolution considerably. .....As long as the IP address
    corresponding to the name doesn't change! whoops.
    There are some sites that advertise lists of ad sites and IP addresses -
    when your PC wants to resolve these,
    it gets "short circuited" by the hosts file, bypassing the ad ware site, or
    the site that is listed there!
    Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
    homenetworking environments!
    www.pccitizen.com

    "PLAIN JOE" <> wrote in message
    > I recently learned of this file residing deep in my system:
    > C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    >
    > Apparently it blocks the sites listed there. My question is: Who entered
    > these sites into the list?
    >
    > I suspect one program, Kazaa, blocking rival sites. There are many ad

    sites

    John D Loop, Dec 31, 2003