Re: "Who are Xnet?" Asks guy on the phone from Slingshot LOL

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Jul 9, 2008.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > Talk about a laugh after the news server problem which I didn't bother
    > grizzling to Slingshot about since my solution is to eventually leave
    > Slingshot probably going to Xnet.

    This wasn't one of the standard cold calls was it? I usually let them
    rabbit on to the point where they want to transfer me to someone to take
    my details then I tell them that I already have an ISP/tolls provider.
    Wastes a couple of minutes of their time and stops them calling someone
    else. Very public spirited, me!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Jul 9, 2008

  2. In article <>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "Enkidu" typed:
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Talk about a laugh after the news server problem which I didn't
    >>> bother grizzling to Slingshot about since my solution is to
    >>> eventually leave Slingshot probably going to Xnet.
    >>>

    >> This wasn't one of the standard cold calls was it? I usually let them
    >> rabbit on to the point where they want to transfer me to someone to
    >> take my details then I tell them that I already have an ISP/tolls
    >> provider. Wastes a couple of minutes of their time and stops them
    >> calling someone else. Very public spirited, me!

    >Indeed, thanks for that. <g>
    >
    >I used to sat that, no, now wasn't convenient but, if they give me *their*
    >home number I'll ring back when it *is* convenient. Thick shits, half of
    >them didn't get it.
    >
    >Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about and I'll
    >decide from there if I want to hear more."
    >
    >I've always had an unlisted number, ever since I was a kid in my first flat.
    >Couple years ago I was talked into listing it, you know, old school friends
    >etc. might be trying to track me down... Previous to that (and now again)
    >I'd get maybe one telemarketer every six months, in the month following
    >listing I got four or five. When I rang Telecom to get my number unlisted
    >again they assured me that the calls had nothing to do with being listed.
    >Yeah, right! I believe in the tooth fairy as well as coincidences.

    In this case, I believe telecon. :)

    Many telespammers just ring a sequence of numbers. Listed or not, you won't
    escape that.
    Also IIRC (and this was a year or 3 ago now) telescum told me they sell
    lists of connected numbers to telespammers. I have no reason to think they
    don't still do this. Yes, their terms of "service" say they can (short
    translateion, we guarantee to provide nothing; you guarantee to provide
    money). When I complained, they offered to disconnect me :)
    Again, listed or unlisted would make no difference.
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 10, 2008

  3. Enkidu

    A_ L _P Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> >
    >>> Talk about a laugh after the news server problem which I didn't
    >>> bother grizzling to Slingshot about since my solution is to
    >>> eventually leave Slingshot probably going to Xnet.

    I've been very pleased with xnet. I like their pricing, the way you can
    go to their site and choose how much you want to spend per month as an
    alternative to having a plan for a certain fixed number of Gigabytes.
    Unlike others, if you go over your limit they don't immediately dump
    another gig's worth of charge onto your account even if you only
    downloaded one extra email over your limit. They throttle you back to
    dial-in (actually a bit faster than what I was getting before on
    dial-up) OR you can alter your plan at any time, for this month or for
    the foreseeable future depending on your changing needs and use of the
    internet connection. To me that's very fair. Good service, no traps
    from what I've experienced nd from the recommendations I got before I
    switched ISPs (again). I started with xtra, then paradise, ihug and now
    xnet. Don't see the point in hanging on if the service deteriorates.
    When it comes to big businesses loyalty is a seven-letter word with two
    y's, that's all.

    A L P
    A_ L _P, Jul 10, 2008
  4. Enkidu

    ~misfit~ Guest

    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2008
  5. Enkidu

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bruce Sinclair" typed:
    > In article <>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Enkidu" typed:

    >>> This wasn't one of the standard cold calls was it? I usually let
    >>> them rabbit on to the point where they want to transfer me to
    >>> someone to take my details then I tell them that I already have an
    >>> ISP/tolls provider. Wastes a couple of minutes of their time and
    >>> stops them calling someone else. Very public spirited, me!

    >> Indeed, thanks for that. <g>
    >>
    >> I used to sat that, no, now wasn't convenient but, if they give me
    >> *their* home number I'll ring back when it *is* convenient. Thick
    >> shits, half of them didn't get it.
    >>
    >> Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about
    >> and I'll decide from there if I want to hear more."
    >>
    >> I've always had an unlisted number, ever since I was a kid in my
    >> first flat. Couple years ago I was talked into listing it, you know,
    >> old school friends etc. might be trying to track me down... Previous
    >> to that (and now again) I'd get maybe one telemarketer every six
    >> months, in the month following listing I got four or five. When I
    >> rang Telecom to get my number unlisted again they assured me that
    >> the calls had nothing to do with being listed. Yeah, right! I
    >> believe in the tooth fairy as well as coincidences.

    > In this case, I believe telecon. :)
    >
    > Many telespammers just ring a sequence of numbers. Listed or not, you
    > won't
    > escape that.
    > Also IIRC (and this was a year or 3 ago now) telescum told me they
    > sell
    > lists of connected numbers to telespammers. I have no reason to think
    > they
    > don't still do this. Yes, their terms of "service" say they can (short
    > translateion, we guarantee to provide nothing; you guarantee to
    > provide
    > money). When I complained, they offered to disconnect me :)
    > Again, listed or unlisted would make no difference.

    Should have mentioned, I have my phone as non-listed *and* confidential.
    (Shows as "unknown caller" on caller ID.)

    Perhaps that's the difference?

    Coincidences? Pffft! The telemarketing calls stopped again after I
    unlisted/went confidential again. That's two coincidences. Nah.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2008
  6. Enkidu

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Barry Lennox" typed:
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:48:21 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> I used to sat that, no, now wasn't convenient but, if they give me
    >> *their* home number I'll ring back when it *is* convenient. Thick
    >> shits, half of them didn't get it.

    > Yes, I tried that for a while but they just hung on too long, trying
    > to think up a response.
    >

    >> Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about
    >> and I'll decide from there if I want to hear more."

    > I now usually (depending on what I feel like):-
    >
    > say " I have to put you on hold" put the phone down (not on-hook) and
    > walk away for some minutes. I even used to have a radio next to the
    > phone, so they could get some "Muzak"
    >
    > Ask dumber and dumber questions till they get it. ie; This might
    > terminate in me asking "What's this newspaper thing you talk of?"
    >
    > Demand their credit card number NOW, as I charge $5 per minute.

    LOL, yeah, I've tried that one too. Used to visit a mate who often got these
    types of calls for some reason. If I was there he'd pass the phone to me...
    Same with if bible-bangers visited. I'd get rid of them within 3 minutes
    without being offensive, usually with them leaving happier. (I'd just tell
    them they do great work but it isn't needed here, thankyouverymuch. Unlike
    my current neighbour who tells them that they'd be better talking to *me*.
    I found out when two lots in a row said she'd sent them over! When I hit her
    up she laughed and said she'd had trouble getting rid of them inthe past but
    noticed I didn't...)

    >> listing I got four or five. When I rang Telecom to get my number
    >> unlisted again they assured me that the calls had nothing to do with
    >> being listed. Yeah, right! I believe in the tooth fairy as well as
    >> coincidences.

    > They are probably right, I used to have 2 numbers, one for a phone and
    > one for a dedicated fax and modem use, One ended in 5520, the other in
    > 5522. The second line would always ring a minute or two after the
    > first with the same dickhead on it. They just call whole blocks of
    > numbers.

    Perhaps that happens more in bigger areas? As I just mentioned to Bruce, the
    telemarketer calls stopped again after I went unlisted/confidential again.
    That would be two coincidences. (I'm not making this up.)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2008
  7. Enkidu

    Richard Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > Many telespammers just ring a sequence of numbers. Listed or not, you won't
    > escape that.
    > Also IIRC (and this was a year or 3 ago now) telescum told me they sell
    > lists of connected numbers to telespammers. I have no reason to think they
    > don't still do this. Yes, their terms of "service" say they can (short
    > translateion, we guarantee to provide nothing; you guarantee to provide
    > money). When I complained, they offered to disconnect me :)
    > Again, listed or unlisted would make no difference.

    Lots use the phonebooks, since they can comply with the requirements to
    remove you from their database by crossing it out. Then they get a new
    database for the next run of phone spamming...
    Richard, Jul 10, 2008
  8. "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Barry Lennox" typed:
    >> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:48:21 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I used to sat that, no, now wasn't convenient but, if they give me
    >>> *their* home number I'll ring back when it *is* convenient. Thick
    >>> shits, half of them didn't get it.

    >> Yes, I tried that for a while but they just hung on too long, trying
    >> to think up a response.
    >>

    >>> Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about
    >>> and I'll decide from there if I want to hear more."

    >> I now usually (depending on what I feel like):-
    >>
    >> say " I have to put you on hold" put the phone down (not on-hook) and
    >> walk away for some minutes. I even used to have a radio next to the
    >> phone, so they could get some "Muzak"
    >>
    >> Ask dumber and dumber questions till they get it. ie; This might
    >> terminate in me asking "What's this newspaper thing you talk of?"
    >>
    >> Demand their credit card number NOW, as I charge $5 per minute.

    > LOL, yeah, I've tried that one too. Used to visit a mate who often got
    > these types of calls for some reason. If I was there he'd pass the phone
    > to me... Same with if bible-bangers visited. I'd get rid of them within 3
    > minutes without being offensive, usually with them leaving happier. (I'd
    > just tell them they do great work but it isn't needed here,
    > thankyouverymuch. Unlike my current neighbour who tells them that they'd
    > be better talking to *me*. I found out when two lots in a row said she'd
    > sent them over! When I hit her up she laughed and said she'd had trouble
    > getting rid of them inthe past but noticed I didn't...)
    >
    >>> listing I got four or five. When I rang Telecom to get my number
    >>> unlisted again they assured me that the calls had nothing to do with
    >>> being listed. Yeah, right! I believe in the tooth fairy as well as
    >>> coincidences.

    >> They are probably right, I used to have 2 numbers, one for a phone and
    >> one for a dedicated fax and modem use, One ended in 5520, the other in
    >> 5522. The second line would always ring a minute or two after the
    >> first with the same dickhead on it. They just call whole blocks of
    >> numbers.

    > Perhaps that happens more in bigger areas? As I just mentioned to Bruce,
    > the telemarketer calls stopped again after I went unlisted/confidential
    > again. That would be two coincidences. (I'm not making this up.)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

    Lol.

    My favourite: "... go-ing in-o a tunnel you're bre-a-king up", then just
    hang up.
    When they double check they actually called a land line they get the
    message, well and good, they NEVER call back.

    J&H.
    Jekyll and Hyde, Jul 10, 2008
  9. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Enkidu" typed:
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> Talk about a laugh after the news server problem which I didn't
    >>> bother grizzling to Slingshot about since my solution is to
    >>> eventually leave Slingshot probably going to Xnet.
    >>>

    >> This wasn't one of the standard cold calls was it? I usually let them
    >> rabbit on to the point where they want to transfer me to someone to
    >> take my details then I tell them that I already have an ISP/tolls
    >> provider. Wastes a couple of minutes of their time and stops them
    >> calling someone else. Very public spirited, me!

    > Indeed, thanks for that. <g>
    >
    > I used to sat that, no, now wasn't convenient but, if they give me *their*
    > home number I'll ring back when it *is* convenient. Thick shits, half of
    > them didn't get it.
    >
    > Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about and I'll
    > decide from there if I want to hear more."
    >
    > I've always had an unlisted number, ever since I was a kid in my first flat.
    > Couple years ago I was talked into listing it, you know, old school friends
    > etc. might be trying to track me down... Previous to that (and now again)
    > I'd get maybe one telemarketer every six months, in the month following
    > listing I got four or five. When I rang Telecom to get my number unlisted
    > again they assured me that the calls had nothing to do with being listed.
    > Yeah, right! I believe in the tooth fairy as well as coincidences.

    Once or twice in six months is about what we get on our listed phone.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Jul 10, 2008
  10. Enkidu

    EMB Guest

    HP Support [was "Who are Xnet?" ]

    ~misfit~ wrote:>
    > Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about and I'll
    > decide from there if I want to hear more."

    Some market research fscker from HP Oz phoned me today "to check my
    satisfaction with my recent support experience with HP".[1] He promised
    "less than 60 seconds" when I explained I was busy. The moment my
    answers were "disatisfied" he tried to turn it into a 30 minute
    interview as to why I was unhappy. I cut things short after a couple of
    minutes (telling him to get management to call me) so i could go and
    tell the waiting Canon rep to "Go away, my printers are all under
    contract and you can't help me". I await another call from HP with
    interest - I'll be looking for compensation for my time they have wasted.

    [1] HP dropped the ball rather badly from the moment my call to their
    0800 number was answered by some monkey in Hydrabad (ask Sarns about my
    first utterances after the call was answered). Things got *way* worse
    from there. Firstly, despite undertakings from the Indian simian that
    the laptop was going to be collected by a tech, I was phoned by the
    local repair centre and told I had to package it ready for courier
    collection. Be fscked I was going to, knowing how badly couriers treat
    parcels I delivered the laptop to HP's service centre myself. The
    laptop in question was returned several days later with the original
    problem still there, and a brief note questioning my troubleshooting
    abilities. It turns out monkey-man had interpreted "Ethernet port U/S"
    as "WIFI not working". 5 hours of my life was then spent finding anyone
    at HP or their service centre who would admit the problem was real
    without requiring me to do a "reformat and reinstall to factory
    defaults" which didn't impress me much. A senior manager finally (after
    my calling HP NZ, HP's NZ service agents and HP Asia Pacific management
    in the US) took ownership of the problem, beat the tech-apes into
    fitting a new motherboard and got one of said apes to personally deliver
    the machine back to me and stand over me whilst I confirmed the issue
    was resolved.
    EMB, Jul 10, 2008
  11. Enkidu

    A_ L _P Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> I've always had an unlisted number, ever since I was a kid in my first
    >> flat. Couple years ago I was talked into listing it, you know, old
    >> school friends etc. might be trying to track me down... Previous to
    >> that (and now again) I'd get maybe one telemarketer every six months,
    >> in the month following listing I got four or five. When I rang Telecom
    >> to get my number unlisted again they assured me that the calls had
    >> nothing to do with being listed. Yeah, right! I believe in the tooth
    >> fairy as well as coincidences.
    > >

    > Once or twice in six months is about what we get on our listed phone.

    Me too, but I'm also listed with the direct advertising assn or whatever
    it's called as a "Do not call" and I think that helps. I don't know
    what it is - I know people who get FAR more calls in Dunedin, otherwise
    I'd wonder if it depended on what part of the country you're in.

    Just as a matter of interest, what is the experience of people in rural
    areas? Many calls?

    A L P
    A_ L _P, Jul 10, 2008
  12. Enkidu

    EMB Guest

    A_ L _P wrote:
    > Just as a matter of interest, what is the experience of people in rural
    > areas? Many calls?

    None, zero, zip, nada.
    EMB, Jul 11, 2008
  13. Enkidu

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-07-11, EMB <> wrote:
    > A_ L _P wrote:
    >> Just as a matter of interest, what is the experience of people in rural
    >> areas? Many calls?

    > None, zero, zip, nada.

    Okay we have one nothing. Come on rural folks, straw poll here going on. I
    find this interesting if the human robots do not call the rural areas. Of
    course you might not be in
    Gordon, Jul 11, 2008
  14. Enkidu

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: HP Support [was "Who are Xnet?" ]

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:>
    >> Now I just say "You've got 10 seconds to tell me what this is about
    >> and I'll decide from there if I want to hear more."

    > Some market research fscker from HP Oz phoned me today "to check my
    > satisfaction with my recent support experience with HP".[1] He
    > promised "less than 60 seconds" when I explained I was busy. The
    > moment my answers were "disatisfied" he tried to turn it into a 30
    > minute interview as to why I was unhappy. I cut things short after a
    > couple of minutes (telling him to get management to call me) so i
    > could go and tell the waiting Canon rep to "Go away, my printers are
    > all under contract and you can't help me". I await another call from
    > HP with interest - I'll be looking for compensation for my time they
    > have wasted.
    > [1] HP dropped the ball rather badly from the moment my call to their
    > 0800 number was answered by some monkey in Hydrabad (ask Sarns about
    > my first utterances after the call was answered). Things got *way*
    > worse from there. Firstly, despite undertakings from the Indian
    > simian that the laptop was going to be collected by a tech, I was
    > phoned by the local repair centre and told I had to package it ready
    > for courier collection. Be fscked I was going to, knowing how badly
    > couriers treat parcels I delivered the laptop to HP's service centre
    > myself. The laptop in question was returned several days later with
    > the original problem still there, and a brief note questioning my
    > troubleshooting abilities. It turns out monkey-man had interpreted
    > "Ethernet port U/S" as "WIFI not working". 5 hours of my life was
    > then spent finding anyone at HP or their service centre who would
    > admit the problem was real without requiring me to do a "reformat and
    > reinstall to factory defaults" which didn't impress me much. A
    > senior manager finally (after my calling HP NZ, HP's NZ service
    > agents and HP Asia Pacific management in the US) took ownership of
    > the problem, beat the tech-apes into fitting a new motherboard and
    > got one of said apes to personally deliver the machine back to me and
    > stand over me whilst I confirmed the issue was resolved.

    Good result, bad experience. I too get increasingly frustrated with
    outsourced-to-India support.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2008
  15. Enkidu

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-07-11, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Good result, bad experience. I too get increasingly frustrated with
    > outsourced-to-India support.

    It could be worse for just a little more they could employ highschool
    dropouts in NZ to answer the phone instead.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Jul 11, 2008
  16. Enkidu

    Lynz Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > A_ L _P wrote:
    >> Just as a matter of interest, what is the experience of people in
    >> rural areas? Many calls?

    > None, zero, zip, nada.

    About one a week.
    Lynz, Jul 11, 2008
  17. Enkidu

    A_ L _P Guest

    Unsolicited phone marketers, was "Who are Xnet?"

    Lynz wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> A_ L _P wrote:
    >>> Just as a matter of interest, what is the experience of people in
    >>> rural areas? Many calls?

    >> None, zero, zip, nada.

    > About one a week.

    A-ha. Supplementary question - what about cities & towns, are there any
    that are worse than others, or any patterns we can discern?

    Is anyone else registered with the direct marketing and telephone
    marketing organisations as "Do not call"? How often do you get calls,
    presumably by people working their way through the phone book?

    A L P
    A_ L _P, Jul 11, 2008
  18. In article <>, wrote:
    >Enkidu wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> I've always had an unlisted number, ever since I was a kid in my first
    >>> flat. Couple years ago I was talked into listing it, you know, old
    >>> school friends etc. might be trying to track me down... Previous to
    >>> that (and now again) I'd get maybe one telemarketer every six months,
    >>> in the month following listing I got four or five. When I rang Telecom
    >>> to get my number unlisted again they assured me that the calls had
    >>> nothing to do with being listed. Yeah, right! I believe in the tooth
    >>> fairy as well as coincidences.
    >> >

    >> Once or twice in six months is about what we get on our listed phone.
    >>

    >Me too, but I'm also listed with the direct advertising assn or whatever
    >it's called as a "Do not call" and I think that helps. I don't know
    >what it is - I know people who get FAR more calls in Dunedin, otherwise
    >I'd wonder if it depended on what part of the country you're in.
    >
    >Just as a matter of interest, what is the experience of people in rural
    >areas? Many calls?

    Yep. :) Agree that the 'direct marketers do not call list' has helped ...
    but was amazed to find that you had to *write* to them to get on it !
    I will also note that sky, the main reason for me getting listed on the
    don't call list in the first place, apparently pay no attention to it :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 14, 2008