Re: Whither high resolution Digital Images?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ofnuts, Aug 4, 2010.

  1. Ofnuts

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 04/08/2010 12:00, Jeff Jones wrote:

    > And none of what concerns you matters in the least. If there is worthwhile
    > content then even a 1 megapixel image could be blown up to the size of a
    > wall (with proper upsampling) and it would still be admired and
    > appreciated.

    > A cellphone camera can create just as much of a photographic masterpiece as
    > any Hasselblad on the planet. It just all depends on who is holding it.

    Somebody to give a Nokia to Ansel Adams (or his successor)!

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 4, 2010

  2. Ofnuts

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 04/08/2010 12:16, Jeff Jones wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:09:06 +0200, Ofnuts<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 04/08/2010 12:00, Jeff Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> And none of what concerns you matters in the least. If there is worthwhile
    >>> content then even a 1 megapixel image could be blown up to the size of a
    >>> wall (with proper upsampling) and it would still be admired and
    >>> appreciated.

    >>> A cellphone camera can create just as much of a photographic masterpiece as
    >>> any Hasselblad on the planet. It just all depends on who is holding it.

    >> Somebody to give a Nokia to Ansel Adams (or his successor)!

    > Since you can't comprehend that, how about if we put you and Shakespeare
    > sitting next to each other. Him on a 1976 word-processor (him having been
    > previously brought up to speed on how to use one), and you on the latest
    > gaming machine with a terabyte of RAM in it. On the count of three, both
    > start writing. See who creates the greatest and most memorable prose after
    > one month.

    More like him with a slab of granite and a chisel. He will write a
    couple of sonnets before the arthitis takes the better of him and have a
    grand total of 3 readers.

    But anyway we are talking about photography here... So take an Ansel
    Adams photography, reduce it to one million pixels and add some noise,
    blow it back to original size, and compare.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 4, 2010

  3. Ofnuts

    Jeff Jones Guest

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:07:20 +0200, Ofnuts <>
    wrote:

    >On 04/08/2010 12:16, Jeff Jones wrote:
    >> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:09:06 +0200, Ofnuts<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Somebody to give a Nokia to Ansel Adams (or his successor)!

    >> Since you can't comprehend that, how about if we put you and Shakespeare
    >> sitting next to each other. Him on a 1976 word-processor (him having been
    >> previously brought up to speed on how to use one), and you on the latest
    >> gaming machine with a terabyte of RAM in it. On the count of three, both
    >> start writing. See who creates the greatest and most memorable prose after
    >> one month.

    >More like him with a slab of granite and a chisel. He will write a
    >couple of sonnets before the arthitis takes the better of him and have a
    >grand total of 3 readers.
    >
    >But anyway we are talking about photography here... So take an Ansel
    >Adams photography, reduce it to one million pixels and add some noise,
    >blow it back to original size, and compare.

    I never thought Ansel Adams was that much of a photographer to begin with.
    All he managed to do was not destroy an already majestic scene. There's no
    talent in that.

    But if we had to compare the above example you've given with any of your
    photography on even the best camera in existence? Ansel's downsized, noise
    added, upsampled image would beat anything you could do, without question.
    Between the two guess whose photographs would sell? NOT yours.

    Jeff Jones, Aug 4, 2010
  4. Ofnuts

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 04/08/2010 13:25, Jeff Jones wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:07:20 +0200, Ofnuts<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 04/08/2010 12:16, Jeff Jones wrote:

    >>> Since you can't comprehend that, how about if we put you and Shakespeare
    >>> sitting next to each other. Him on a 1976 word-processor (him having been
    >>> previously brought up to speed on how to use one), and you on the latest
    >>> gaming machine with a terabyte of RAM in it. On the count of three, both
    >>> start writing. See who creates the greatest and most memorable prose after
    >>> one month.

    >> More like him with a slab of granite and a chisel. He will write a
    >> couple of sonnets before the arthitis takes the better of him and have a
    >> grand total of 3 readers.
    >>
    >> But anyway we are talking about photography here... So take an Ansel
    >> Adams photography, reduce it to one million pixels and add some noise,
    >> blow it back to original size, and compare.

    > I never thought Ansel Adams was that much of a photographer to begin with.

    Your recent shots of Mount Rainier waterfalls indeed demonstrate that
    you have a very different understanding of what makes a good picture.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 4, 2010
  5. Ofnuts

    Jeff Jones Guest

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:45:33 +0200, Ofnuts <>
    wrote:

    >On 04/08/2010 13:25, Jeff Jones wrote:
    >> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:07:20 +0200, Ofnuts<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> More like him with a slab of granite and a chisel. He will write a
    >>> couple of sonnets before the arthitis takes the better of him and have a
    >>> grand total of 3 readers.
    >>>
    >>> But anyway we are talking about photography here... So take an Ansel
    >>> Adams photography, reduce it to one million pixels and add some noise,
    >>> blow it back to original size, and compare.

    >> I never thought Ansel Adams was that much of a photographer to begin with.

    >Your recent shots of Mount Rainier waterfalls indeed demonstrate that
    >you have a very different understanding of what makes a good picture.

    And you have a very different understanding of what the words "I *NEVER*
    post any marketable shots to the net" means. I learned my lesson long ago
    when even 240x180 pixel images of mine can be stolen for printed
    publications. You stupid fuckwad.

    [Aside: Good thing I learned that lesson too, because just last evening I
    found another one of those rarest-insects-on-earth (the subject of the
    original 240x180 images of mine that were stolen). An insect that hasn't
    been seen alive since 1908 and the only two known specimens in a NY museum
    were lost to storage conditions and time, back in the 1940's. This one was
    slowly dying on my porch, having been attacked by a spider. So I took many
    more photographs of it (after freeing it from the spider) before it died.
    This particular genus of insects, /Otiocerus/, have a unique antenna
    structure that doesn't survive any preservation process. Its full structure
    only visible on live or recently deceased specimens. After it finally
    expired from the spider venom I preserved it in a small jar with label for
    concrete proof that they still exist, and exist on my land. Had I not
    learned that lesson that even a 240x180 image can be stolen for
    publications, you would all be seeing a high-resolution image of one of the
    rarest insects on earth. Now you won't even get to see a 24x18 pixel one. A
    good lesson for all.]

    Show us some images of yours from the latest and greatest full-frame or
    medium-frame camera that can beat a 1 megapixel Adams photo. We'll all wait
    while you to prepare one of YOUR photos for uploading. Oh hell, just upload
    any photo of YOURS at all. Because we already know that you don't even own
    one camera.

    YOU FUCKINGLY USELESS, BLATANTLY TRANSPARENT, CHILDISHLY MANIPULATIVE,
    OFF-TOPIC, THREAD-HIJACKING, PRETEND-PHOTOGRAPHER TROLL.

    Jeff Jones, Aug 4, 2010
  6. Ofnuts

    wrote:

    >On 04/08/2010 13:25, Jeff Jones wrote:
    >> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:07:20 +0200, Ofnuts<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> More like him with a slab of granite and a chisel. He will write a
    >>> couple of sonnets before the arthitis takes the better of him and have a
    >>> grand total of 3 readers.
    >>>
    >>> But anyway we are talking about photography here... So take an Ansel
    >>> Adams photography, reduce it to one million pixels and add some noise,
    >>> blow it back to original size, and compare.

    >> I never thought Ansel Adams was that much of a photographer to begin with.

    >Your recent shots of Mount Rainier waterfalls indeed demonstrate that
    >you have a very different understanding of what makes a good picture.

    And you have a very different understanding of what the words "I *NEVER*
    post any marketable shots to the net" means. I learned my lesson long ago
    when even 240x180 pixel images of mine can be stolen for printed
    publications. You stupid fuckwad.

    [Aside: Good thing I learned that lesson too, because just last evening I
    found another one of those rarest-insects-on-earth (the subject of the
    original 240x180 images of mine that were stolen). An insect that hasn't
    been seen alive since 1908 and the only two known specimens in a NY museum
    were lost to storage conditions and time, back in the 1940's. This one was
    slowly dying on my porch, having been attacked by a spider. So I took many
    more photographs of it (after freeing it from the spider) before it died.
    This particular genus of insects, /Otiocerus/, have a unique antenna
    structure that doesn't survive any preservation process. Its full structure
    only visible on live or recently deceased specimens. After it finally
    expired from the spider venom I preserved it in a small jar with label for
    concrete proof that they still exist, and exist on my land. Had I not
    learned that lesson that even a 240x180 image can be stolen for
    publications, you would all be seeing a high-resolution image of one of the
    rarest insects on earth. Now you won't even get to see a 24x18 pixel one. A
    good lesson for all.]

    Show us some images of yours from the latest and greatest full-frame or
    medium-format camera that can beat a 1 megapixel Adams photo. We'll all

    Jeff Jones, Aug 4, 2010
  7. Ofnuts

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 04/08/2010 14:27, Jeff Jones wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:45:33 +0200, Ofnuts<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 04/08/2010 13:25, Jeff Jones wrote:

    >>> I never thought Ansel Adams was that much of a photographer to begin with.

    >> Your recent shots of Mount Rainier waterfalls indeed demonstrate that
    >> you have a very different understanding of what makes a good picture.

    > And you have a very different understanding of what the words "I *NEVER*
    > post any marketable shots to the net" means.

    Yes, that means "My shots are a lot lousier than what I pretend them to
    be". Why should we believe anything else? Has anyone seen your shots in
    all their glory? If they are so good & desirable, why haven't you made a
    fortune by publishing them in a book? And if you made a fortune, what is
    the ISBN?

    > I learned my lesson long ago
    > when even 240x180 pixel images of mine can be stolen for printed
    > publications. You stupid fuckwad.
    >
    > [Aside: Good thing I learned that lesson too, because just last evening I
    > found another one of those rarest-insects-on-earth (the subject of the
    > original 240x180 images of mine that were stolen). An insect that hasn't
    > been seen alive since 1908 and the only two known specimens in a NY museum
    > were lost to storage conditions and time, back in the 1940's. This one was
    > slowly dying on my porch, having been attacked by a spider. So I took many
    > more photographs of it (after freeing it from the spider) before it died.

    Yet more fiction. The rarest insect on earth comes dying on your porch,
    brought by a spider. You're really entertaining... maybe you don't make
    money with your pictures, but you can make a fortune writing novels.
    Title for your first: "Otiocerus and the magic spiders in Mount Rainer
    waterfalls".

    > This particular genus of insects, /Otiocerus/, have a unique antenna
    > structure that doesn't survive any preservation process. Its full structure
    > only visible on live or recently deceased specimens. After it finally
    > expired from the spider venom I preserved it in a small jar with label for
    > concrete proof that they still exist, and exist on my land. Had I not
    > learned that lesson that even a 240x180 image can be stolen for
    > publications, you would all be seeing a high-resolution image of one of the
    > rarest insects on earth. Now you won't even get to see a 24x18 pixel one. A
    > good lesson for all.]

    And you are going to keep it for yourself, of publish a paper? Waiting
    for the paper with baited breath, as well as the full name of the
    species, since you seem to have identified it...

    > Show us some images of yours from the latest and greatest full-frame or
    > medium-format camera that can beat a 1 megapixel Adams photo. We'll all
    > wait while you to prepare one of YOUR photos for uploading. Oh hell, just
    > upload any photo of YOURS at all. Because we already know that you don't
    > even own one camera.

    > YOU FUCKINGLY USELESS, BLATANTLY TRANSPARENT, CHILDISHLY MANIPULATIVE,
    > OFF-TOPIC, THREAD-HIJACKING, PRETEND-PHOTOGRAPHER TROLL.

    Yes! More!

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 4, 2010
  8. Ofnuts

    Jeff Jones Guest

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:45:40 +0200, Ofnuts <>
    wrote:

    >On 04/08/2010 14:27, Jeff Jones wrote:
    >> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:45:33 +0200, Ofnuts<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Your recent shots of Mount Rainier waterfalls indeed demonstrate that
    >>> you have a very different understanding of what makes a good picture.

    >> And you have a very different understanding of what the words "I *NEVER*
    >> post any marketable shots to the net" means.

    >Yes, that means "My shots are a lot lousier than what I pretend them to
    >be". Why should we believe anything else? Has anyone seen your shots in
    >all their glory? If they are so good & desirable, why haven't you made a
    >fortune by publishing them in a book? And if you made a fortune, what is
    >the ISBN?

    You're an annoying and insulting **** of a pretend-photographer troll, and
    then you expect me to give you the answers you want?

    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I'm not so insecure that I have to prove ANYTHING to some low-life shit
    like you. It's much more entertaining for me watching you flip-out over
    anyone having a life more interesting, adventurous, fulfilled, productive,
    talented, and valuable than yours will ever be, with no regrets whatsoever.
    99.9999999999999% of the population has a better life than you'll ever
    conceive of having. You were a waste since you were born and that's what
    really bugs you, because you know it.

    And you are?

    Some low-life peon newsgroup TROLL living in his mommy's basement who
    happened to learn how to use an idiot's user-friendly computer?

    Yep!

    PROVE you are NOT.

    LOL!

    Jeff Jones, Aug 4, 2010
  9. Ofnuts

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Jeff Jones wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:45:33 +0200, Ofnuts <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 04/08/2010 13:25, Jeff Jones wrote:

    >>> I never thought Ansel Adams was that much of a photographer to begin with.

    >> Your recent shots of Mount Rainier waterfalls indeed demonstrate that
    >> you have a very different understanding of what makes a good picture.

    > And you have a very different understanding of what the words "I *NEVER*
    > post any marketable shots to the net" means. I learned my lesson long ago
    > when even 240x180 pixel images of mine can be stolen for printed
    > publications. You stupid fuckwad.
    >
    > [Aside: Good thing I learned that lesson too, because just last evening I
    > found another one of those rarest-insects-on-earth (the subject of the
    > original 240x180 images of mine that were stolen). An insect that hasn't
    > been seen alive since 1908 and the only two known specimens in a NY museum
    > were lost to storage conditions and time, back in the 1940's. This one was
    > slowly dying on my porch, having been attacked by a spider. So I took many
    > more photographs of it (after freeing it from the spider) before it died.
    > This particular genus of insects, /Otiocerus/, have a unique antenna
    > structure that doesn't survive any preservation process. Its full structure
    > only visible on live or recently deceased specimens. After it finally
    > expired from the spider venom I preserved it in a small jar with label for
    > concrete proof that they still exist, and exist on my land. Had I not
    > learned that lesson that even a 240x180 image can be stolen for
    > publications, you would all be seeing a high-resolution image of one of the
    > rarest insects on earth. Now you won't even get to see a 24x18 pixel one. A
    > good lesson for all.]
    >
    > Show us some images of yours from the latest and greatest full-frame or
    > medium-format camera that can beat a 1 megapixel Adams photo. We'll all
    > wait while you to prepare one of YOUR photos for uploading. Oh hell, just
    > upload any photo of YOURS at all. Because we already know that you don't
    > even own one camera.
    >
    > YOU FUCKINGLY USELESS, BLATANTLY TRANSPARENT, CHILDISHLY MANIPULATIVE,
    > OFF-TOPIC, THREAD-HIJACKING, PRETEND-PHOTOGRAPHER TROLL.

    Again you post twice. Is this because you don't know how to post or are
    you anxious we not miss one word of your rant.

    Dave Cohen, Aug 4, 2010
  10. Ofnuts

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 04/08/2010 18:39, Jeff Jones wrote:

    > You're an annoying and insulting **** of a pretend-photographer troll, and
    > then you expect me to give you the answers you want?
    >
    > LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > I'm not so insecure that I have to prove ANYTHING to some low-life shit
    > like you. It's much more entertaining for me watching you flip-out over
    > anyone having a life more interesting, adventurous, fulfilled, productive,
    > talented, and valuable than yours will ever be, with no regrets whatsoever.
    > 99.9999999999999% of the population has a better life than you'll ever
    > conceive of having. You were a waste since you were born and that's what
    > really bugs you, because you know it.
    >
    > And you are?
    >
    > Some low-life peon newsgroup TROLL living in his mommy's basement who
    > happened to learn how to use an idiot's user-friendly computer?
    >
    > Yep!
    >
    > PROVE you are NOT.

    Why should I? I am inded a low-life peon who indeed learned to use a
    computer on the very user-friendly (it had a keyboard, mind...) IBM
    1130. I'm not claiming I'm Alan Turing... And by the way, since you are
    talking about computers, remember the last time we discussed software?
    Another good laugh.

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Aug 4, 2010
  11. Ofnuts

    Scotius Guest

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 05:16:56 -0500, Jeff Jones
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:09:06 +0200, Ofnuts <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On 04/08/2010 12:00, Jeff Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> And none of what concerns you matters in the least. If there is worthwhile
    >>> content then even a 1 megapixel image could be blown up to the size of a
    >>> wall (with proper upsampling) and it would still be admired and
    >>> appreciated.

    >>> A cellphone camera can create just as much of a photographic masterpiece as
    >>> any Hasselblad on the planet. It just all depends on who is holding it.

    >>Somebody to give a Nokia to Ansel Adams (or his successor)!

    >Since you can't comprehend that, how about if we put you and Shakespeare
    >sitting next to each other. Him on a 1976 word-processor (him having been
    >previously brought up to speed on how to use one), and you on the latest
    >gaming machine with a terabyte of RAM in it. On the count of three, both
    >start writing. See who creates the greatest and most memorable prose after
    >one month.
    >
    >You fuckingly useless IDIOT TROLL.

    I know what you mean, although you're being a bit harsh about
    it.

    I had a Cybershot point and shoot before the Nikon D3000 I
    just got, and I took a lot of very good shots with it.

    I'm just not quite accustomed to the 3000 yet, but once I am
    moreso I'm sure my images will be much better. I seem to have gotten a
    bit distracted with the greater amount of choices available with it,
    and so far most of my better images were with the P & S.

    I am confident though that once I'm more up to speed on the
    Nikon it will produce even better images, all things about me being
    equal.

    Scotius, Aug 4, 2010