Re: Which telephoto lens to get for Canon 400D (sub-$800)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ray Fischer, Dec 21, 2008.

  1. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Stimp <> wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have a Canon 400D, with a Canon 17-85 IS lens. I'm going on safari
    >next Feb, and so want to get a better lens for telephoto zoom shots.
    >
    >My budget is less than 800 USD (less than 600 euro), and I've managed to
    >find the following lenses that fit my budget:
    >
    >- Canon 70-300 IS
    >- Sigma 18-200 DC
    >
    >and at the higher end...
    >
    >- Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
    >- Canon 70-200L USM f/4 (this is 2nd hand mint, hence the lower price)
    >
    >Anyone have views on these, and which would be best for the type of
    >envinronment I intend on shooting in?

    The 70-200 lenses are very nice, but they don't have a very long reach.
    If I was going I'd take either the 70-300 (if I wanted a cheaper lens
    that I could stand losing) or the 100-400 to pair with the 17-85. The
    drawback with that one being no IS.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Dec 21, 2008

  2. Ray Fischer

    Pete D Guest

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > On 21 Dec 2008 07:13:25 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote in
    > <494dec95$0$1624$>:
    >
    >>Stimp <> wrote:
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>I have a Canon 400D, with a Canon 17-85 IS lens. I'm going on safari
    >>>next Feb, and so want to get a better lens for telephoto zoom shots.
    >>>
    >>>My budget is less than 800 USD (less than 600 euro), and I've managed to
    >>>find the following lenses that fit my budget:
    >>>
    >>>- Canon 70-300 IS
    >>>- Sigma 18-200 DC
    >>>
    >>>and at the higher end...
    >>>
    >>>- Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
    >>>- Canon 70-200L USM f/4 (this is 2nd hand mint, hence the lower price)
    >>>
    >>>Anyone have views on these, and which would be best for the type of
    >>>envinronment I intend on shooting in?

    >>The 70-200 lenses are very nice, but they don't have a very long reach.
    >>If I was going I'd take either the 70-300 (if I wanted a cheaper lens
    >>that I could stand losing) or the 100-400 to pair with the 17-85. The
    >>drawback with that one being no IS.

    > Why do you think you need such a long lens? Friends of mine on safari
    > have done well with much less -- the guides got them pretty close.

    And there is nothing to indicate that his guides will do the same.

    Long is good in this situation but I would personally go for an IS lens and
    choose the 70-300mm IS.
    Pete D, Dec 21, 2008

  3. Ray Fischer

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 05:53:39 +1100, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >"John Navas" <> wrote in message
    >> On 21 Dec 2008 07:13:25 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote in
    >> <494dec95$0$1624$>:

    >>>The 70-200 lenses are very nice, but they don't have a very long reach.
    >>>If I was going I'd take either the 70-300 (if I wanted a cheaper lens
    >>>that I could stand losing) or the 100-400 to pair with the 17-85. The
    >>>drawback with that one being no IS.

    >> Why do you think you need such a long lens? Friends of mine on safari
    >> have done well with much less -- the guides got them pretty close.

    >And there is nothing to indicate that his guides will do the same.
    >
    >Long is good in this situation but I would personally go for an IS lens and
    >choose the 70-300mm IS.

    My wife and I vacationed in Kenya in 1988. Did the game parks and
    Tree Tops. I was using film then, and carried two lenses. My "long"
    lens was a 200mm. With the exception of Tree Tops - where you
    photograph animals at the water hole from the lodge - I used my 55mm
    lens almost exclusively. The animal life is best photographed as part
    of the scenery. You really aren't looking for up-close shots that
    show the whiskers. You can get that with a visit to a zoo at home.

    When you take those "safari" trips, you move from place-to-place every
    couple of days. You travel in a Land Rover-type of vehicle that holds
    four to six passengers. You really don't want more baggage/gear than
    is absolutely necessary.

    What blew my mind on that trip was the equipment the "birders"
    brought...spotting scopes, tripods, and lenses the size of small
    canons. At parks like Lake Baringo, where birders come from all over
    the world, you see some of the most elaborate kits you can imagine.
    These people have a different objective, though. They are "twitchers"
    there to document the sighting of a particular bird. They are more
    interested in being able to show that they have captured a rare bird
    on film/card than they are in the composition of the photograph.

    In general, the photograph album of a dedicated birder is boring to
    look at. Great detail, but uninteresting other than the fact that one
    shot is of a black-crested whatever and the next shot is of a
    red-crested whatever. Like stuffed and mounted animal heads on the
    wall, there is no sense of nature in the photographs. Just bird mug
    shots.

    I was taking a shot of a tree containing a number of weaver nests, and
    a birder was making fun of my lens saying that I could never get a
    good shot of a weaver with it. He didn't understand that it was the
    tree and the nests that appealed to me.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Dec 21, 2008
  4. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    tony cooper <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 05:53:39 +1100, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"John Navas" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why do you think you need such a long lens? Friends of mine on safari
    >>> have done well with much less -- the guides got them pretty close.

    >>And there is nothing to indicate that his guides will do the same.
    >>
    >>Long is good in this situation but I would personally go for an IS lens and
    >>choose the 70-300mm IS.
    >>

    >My wife and I vacationed in Kenya in 1988. Did the game parks and
    >Tree Tops. I was using film then, and carried two lenses. My "long"
    >lens was a 200mm. With the exception of Tree Tops - where you
    >photograph animals at the water hole from the lodge - I used my 55mm
    >lens almost exclusively. The animal life is best photographed as part
    >of the scenery. You really aren't looking for up-close shots that
    >show the whiskers. You can get that with a visit to a zoo at home.

    A good point. What lenses to take depends greatly upon what kind of
    photos he likes to take. If he likes the broader landscape photos
    then a long telephoto isn't helpful. I'd still take the 70-300 just
    because there's almost always the occasional need to zoom in.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Dec 21, 2008
  5. Ray Fischer

    Paul Furman Guest

    Ray Fischer wrote:
    > tony cooper <> wrote:
    >>
    >> My wife and I vacationed in Kenya in 1988. Did the game parks and
    >> Tree Tops. I was using film then, and carried two lenses. My "long"
    >> lens was a 200mm. With the exception of Tree Tops - where you
    >> photograph animals at the water hole from the lodge - I used my 55mm
    >> lens almost exclusively. The animal life is best photographed as part
    >> of the scenery. You really aren't looking for up-close shots that
    >> show the whiskers. You can get that with a visit to a zoo at home.

    > A good point. What lenses to take depends greatly upon what kind of
    > photos he likes to take. If he likes the broader landscape photos
    > then a long telephoto isn't helpful. I'd still take the 70-300 just
    > because there's almost always the occasional need to zoom in.

    It had not occurred to me you wouldn't need a long lens, being close &
    showing the surroundings is great. There are still some neat effects you
    can do with a long lens though like 'compressing the perspective' to
    bring a distant mountain range closer in the background.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Dec 21, 2008