Re: Which is the best tagging software?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by OG, Jul 1, 2010.

  1. OG

    OG Guest

    "Peter Jason" <> wrote in message
    >I have about 2000 scanned family photos to tag into a database.
    >Eventually I want to select photos on, place, names, and dates.

    Picasa has face recognition built in. It works surprisingly well in my view,
    but there are two 'gotcha's with using it for family photos

    - you'll have different people who look broadly similar due to genetics
    - you'll have the same people who look quite different as they have aged.

    As the facial recognition relies on recognising similarities, I would
    recommend you start by tagging individuals by name and ageband

    John - baby
    John - toddler
    John - boy
    John - teenage
    John - twenties thirties
    John - prime
    John - recent
    Anna - baby
    Anna - toddler
    etc
    If you lump all the John's into one 'pot' any s/w will have difficulty
    picking out the factors that mark out individuals - baby Anna will look more
    like baby John than teenage Anna

    OG, Jul 1, 2010