Re: Which Format to save JPG (NIKON CoolPix 5700)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ed Ruf, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Ed Ruf

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:43:54 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Werner
    Spreeuwenberg" <> wrote:

    >Attached are a photo I've taken using a Nikon Coolpix 5700 camera. The photo
    >was taken with the settings FINE and UXGA. In the properties it is described
    >as : JPEG (8-bit) Fine.

    Please do not attach binaries to non-binary groups such as r.p.d. If the
    group name itself doesn't contain binaries, it's most likely against the
    groups' charter.

    >But, when I mail this to friends with 'somewhat' outdated PC's they can't
    >seem to open the image. What should my settings be when I save the file to
    >correct thisd problem?

    You'll need to delve into your friend's problem a bit deeper. There is
    nothing non-standard about the jpgs created by the 5700. I've never had a
    problem with any jpgs taken with my 990 or 5700 on any machine, even my
    ancient Pentium-166. Are you sure your friend's PC has an image
    viewer/editor application installed and the jpg extension is associated
    with it? A good free one is Irfanview available at http://www.irfanview.com
    who's author is gracious enough to allow the user to associate file
    extensions themselves instead of grabbings them without warning as many and
    all Microsoft apps do.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Jul 15, 2003