Re: Which email clients support HTML email

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Howard, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm trying to get a rough idea of which email clients support HTML
    > email, and which don't. Comments or links please?

    A point which hasn't been made yet is that many of client that supposedly do
    support HTML email may be behind firewalls/processors that strip out
    images/attachments/mime enclosures etc. They only real way to know is to
    send your clients a test HTML email are ask them whether it looks OK.

    Howard, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Howard

    Allistar Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> Howard wrote:

    >> > A point which hasn't been made yet is that many of client that

    > supposedly
    >> > do support HTML email may be behind firewalls/processors that strip out
    >> > images/attachments/mime enclosures etc. They only real way to know is
    >> > to send your clients a test HTML email are ask them whether it looks
    >> > OK.

    >> Also some email programs who supposedly support HTML don't support it

    > fully,
    >> or have buggy implementations of it.
    >>
    >> An example is that I send out an email that had a semi-transparent image

    > (so
    >> that the background image was partially visible) and the only email
    >> client that rendered it correctly that I found was Mozilla. Outlook and
    >> Outlook Express did not know how to render it correctly, so I had to
    >> resort to a gif image with tansparency to satisfy those two main
    >> standards non-compliant email clients.

    > Since when has transparency been part of any HTML standard? Are you
    > talking about semi-tranparent .PNGs?

    Yes. (Well, technically it's not an HTML standard but it is a WC3 standard).
    One that has been around for quite a while and is STILL not implmented in
    certain popular browsers/mail clients).

    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Howard

    Allistar Guest

    Lennier wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:38:27 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    >
    >> Since when has transparency been part of any HTML standard? Are you
    >> talking about semi-tranparent .PNGs?

    > Neither OE or IE support the alpha channel in PNG images.
    >
    > And until recently, neither did Mozilla.
    >
    > And besides, Photoshop's support of PNG images is best considered to be
    > rudimentary.
    >
    > Lennier

    The Gimp creates transparent/semi-transparent PNGs with no troubles.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Howard

    Lennier Guest

    --
    I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
    of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital

    Lennier, Nov 21, 2003