Re: Which dll needs updating?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Patrick Bold, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Patrick Bold

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message

    > I did a new partition with a new Windows installation, mainly to
    > trouble shoot some hardware. Installed drivers for SoundBlaster
    > Ensonique soundcard and the update. Normally, the update changes the
    > appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself, but it
    > won't change this time. I have little other software installed on
    > this temporary installation, on 98SE. I suspect it has something to
    > do with a dll file that needs updating. Anyone have an idea which
    > dll?

    If you expect a reply, you really need to be more specific. What problem
    with your soundcard were you trying to troubleshoot in the first place? Are
    your drivers actually installed now? Is your soundcard working? What's the
    "update" you refer to -- a driver update or an application update? Is "the
    appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself " your only
    problem? If so, what is it about the appearance that isn't right? What's
    this application that you refer to do? And what leads you to believe that a
    dll of some sort is missing?
    Patrick Bold, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Patrick Bold

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:42:40 -0400, "Patrick Bold"
    <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I did a new partition with a new Windows installation, mainly to
    >> trouble shoot some hardware. Installed drivers for SoundBlaster
    >> Ensonique soundcard and the update. Normally, the update changes the
    >> appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself, but it
    >> won't change this time. I have little other software installed on
    >> this temporary installation, on 98SE. I suspect it has something to
    >> do with a dll file that needs updating. Anyone have an idea which
    >> dll?

    >If you expect a reply, you really need to be more specific. What problem
    >with your soundcard were you trying to troubleshoot in the first place? Are
    >your drivers actually installed now? Is your soundcard working? What's the
    >"update" you refer to -- a driver update or an application update? Is "the
    >appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself " your only
    >problem? If so, what is it about the appearance that isn't right? What's
    >this application that you refer to do? And what leads you to believe that a
    >dll of some sort is missing?

    Nothing wrong with operation of soundcard. It is just that since the
    update (driver and mixer) came available and was installed I got a
    different icon in the system tray and the mixer was smaller with a
    different look, neater. Also the updated system tray icon acts as a
    volume control directly without having to open the mixer as with the
    old one. It is not a case of a missing dll but I believe one that
    needs to be updated. I have seen other windows features change when a
    newer version of a dll was installed. Newer versions of dlls have
    additional instructions in them.
    GraB, Jul 18, 2003

  3. "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 22:42:40 -0400, "Patrick Bold"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> I did a new partition with a new Windows installation, mainly to
    > >> trouble shoot some hardware. Installed drivers for SoundBlaster
    > >> Ensonique soundcard and the update. Normally, the update changes the
    > >> appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself, but it
    > >> won't change this time. I have little other software installed on
    > >> this temporary installation, on 98SE. I suspect it has something to
    > >> do with a dll file that needs updating. Anyone have an idea which
    > >> dll?

    > >If you expect a reply, you really need to be more specific. What problem
    > >with your soundcard were you trying to troubleshoot in the first place?

    Are
    > >your drivers actually installed now? Is your soundcard working? What's

    the
    > >"update" you refer to -- a driver update or an application update? Is

    "the
    > >appearance of the System Tray icon and the application itself " your only
    > >problem? If so, what is it about the appearance that isn't right? What's
    > >this application that you refer to do? And what leads you to believe

    that a
    > >dll of some sort is missing?
    > >

    > Nothing wrong with operation of soundcard. It is just that since the
    > update (driver and mixer) came available and was installed I got a
    > different icon in the system tray and the mixer was smaller with a
    > different look, neater. Also the updated system tray icon acts as a
    > volume control directly without having to open the mixer as with the
    > old one. It is not a case of a missing dll but I believe one that
    > needs to be updated. I have seen other windows features change when a
    > newer version of a dll was installed. Newer versions of dlls have
    > additional instructions in them.

    There is no dll being updated. *If* the sound card software designers have
    written their own mixer, then it'll tell Windows that it is providing a new
    mixer, and windows will use it. You can usually change the volume with the
    Windows one without opening it by left clicking on it, then waiting a small
    interval.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 19, 2003