Re: Which color profile for Canon S50 pictures?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Hilton, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Fanta

    >I have just started using a Canon S50. I see that its TIFF files
    >(converted from RAW with Canon ZoomBrowser) don't have any color profile
    >embedded. When I open those TIFF files with my applications (e.g.
    >Photoshop, Picture Window Pro), which profile should I assume the
    >picture is in?

    They are untagged tiffs so there is no profile associated with them. This
    means you can assign any working profile you like when you get the 'profile
    mismatch' warning in Photoshop. The 'working profile' is just a
    non-device-specific abstract RGB space, nothing special about it. You can make
    your own FantaSpace if you wish, it's easy to do in Photoshop.

    The two working spaces that make the most sense for a digital camera tiff are
    sRGB, especially if you're going to use the files for the web, or
    AdobeRGB(1998) if you're going to print them.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 29, 2003

  2. Bill Hilton

    Fanta Guest

    Bill,
    thank you for your reply. So may I assume the untagged TIFF is in
    sRGB color space and just:
    - tag it with that profile;
    or
    - convert it from sRGB to AdobeRGB, and tag it as AdobeRGB
    ?

    Thanks,
    Fanta

    Fanta, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Fanta

    >thank you for your reply. So may I assume the untagged TIFF is in
    >sRGB color space ...

    No, it's NOT in sRGB, it's untagged so it doesn't have *any* working space
    attached to it. The working space defines a gamut range (number of colors) you
    can edit in and is usually chosen based in large part on your final target
    output (ie, web, print, archive, whatever).

    The untagged TIFF is basically just the raw camera data (converted to tiff by
    ZoomBrowser) so it has the native gamut of the camera, which is almost surely
    larger than sRGB with any decent camera. The cameras usually specifiy sRGB for
    jpeg files for various reasons but often don't specify any particular working
    space for a tiff conversion (though the new 10D offers options for sRGB or
    AdobeRGB).

    >So may I assume the untagged TIFF is in
    >sRGB color space and just:
    >- tag it with that profile;

    If you have the default color settings for Photoshop warnings, when you open an
    untagged file you get a 'Missing Profile' dialog box, with 4 options ... you
    can leave it untagged, assign your current working profile, assign any profile
    you wish or assign any profile and convert this to the working profile
    (typically what you might do with scanner data if you have a scanner profile,
    for example).

    So if you want it to be sRGB here's the spot to assign that profile.

    >or
    >- convert it from sRGB to AdobeRGB, and tag it as AdobeRGB?

    No need to do a conversion/tagging, especially to a smaller gamut space, then
    to a large space. Just pick one or the other, based on how wide a color gamut
    you need for your final output. If you want to use the file for both web and
    print I'd suggest using AdobeRGB for the edits, then when you're ready for the
    web make a copy and convert this copy to sRGB (Image > Mode > Convert to
    Profile) before making a jpeg.

    What is your current working space in Photoshop? If you're still using the
    default then it's sRGB. You can change this if you wish with Edit > Color
    Settings > and in the 'Settings' presets at the top of the dialog box change
    the default "Web Graphics Defaults" to "U.S. Pre-Press Defaults" to use
    AdobeRGB as the RGB working space. Or, since you're apparently in Italy, maybe
    "Europe Pre-Press Defaults", though the differences are mostly in the CMYK
    settings, not the RGB setup.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Bill Hilton

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:15:07 +0200, in this august
    forum, Fanta <> said:

    >Bill,
    > thank you for your reply. So may I assume the untagged TIFF is in
    >sRGB color space and just:
    >- tag it with that profile;
    >or
    >- convert it from sRGB to AdobeRGB, and tag it as AdobeRGB

    If you're converting to 8 bit TIFF, I'd recommend tagging it as sRGB. If
    you're converting to 16 bit TIFF, I'd recommend AdobeRGB '98.
    I'm no expert on colour management, but I believe this will preserve the
    most tonal range in your images, & it seems to work well for me. If
    there are any colour management experts here, I'd be interested in
    seeing their thoughts on the subject.

    Lionel, Aug 30, 2003