Re: Which camera has the best dynamic range?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SMS, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Bob Donahue wrote:
    > I take a lot of pictures at car shows. The digital cameras I've had to date,
    > have trouble rendering white cars in direct sunlight. You can't see the
    > curves of the body panels, they come out pure white with no shading! Cars
    > that are not white come out beautifully. I'm in the market for a new "point
    > and shoot" camera. I've narrowed my choice down to the Fujifilm FinePix
    > F100fd or the Nikon CoolPix 610. Both of these models are advertised as
    > having special "dynamic range" modes. Which one would be my best bet for
    > avoiding washed out highlights?

    Your first clue sould be to avoid any camera that offers a very high ISO
    setting, like the F100fd, which also somehow forgot to include aperture
    priority and shutter priority modes.

    You should try using aperture priority mode on your existing camera, and
    using a smaller aperture (larger number).

    If you've narrowed your choices down to those two abysmal models, then
    you should just give up. Seriously.

    As someone else suggested, try under-exposing a little.

    My suggestion would be a Canon A570 IS, and if you can't find one, get
    the newer A590 IS, but the dynamic range will be slightly poorer than
    the A570 IS. Of course dynamic range isn't your problem here, so it's
    really immaterial.

    The 570 IS and 590 IS are good bargains as well. Everyone seems to be
    buying the super compact cameras these days and overlooking the more
    capable compacts.

    The older 570 IS has a better movie mode than the newer 590 IS, if
    that's important to you.
    SMS, Sep 8, 2008