Re: Which camera has the best dynamic range?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ASAAR, Aug 31, 2008.

  1. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 13:52:19 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

    > That Fuji camera does not employ the high DR sensors of Fujifilm fame
    > (aka Super CCD SR II and similar).

    True, but that doesn't mean that if doesn't offer DR. It does,
    but it's not based on the CCD sensor. The expanded DR mode also
    isn't usable at ISO 800 and above.

    > Note of art: if you are concerned enough to want to capture the subtle
    > curves of a white car in bright sunlight, then it seems to make sense
    > that you get the right camera. To me that would be the Fujifilm S3|S5.
    > Good news is you can find a lot of Nikon lenses (used or new) for it.

    The bad news is that it's going to require a much more expensive
    camera and lenses, when all that may be needed is to use exposure
    compensation on the existing P&S camera.

    ASAAR, Aug 31, 2008